Can a person take too much probiotic?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Can a person take too much probiotic?

Postby Ismaila » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:02 pm

I am on Vancomycin, for 14 days ( now only about a week), And then doctor wants me to start tapering. I am very hopeful, and praying to get cured. (Flagyl did not work)

My question is : can probiotics also upset your stomach? I was on 2 florastors (sacch bulardii), and added 4 pills VSL3#. And then I changed to powedered VSL#3 AND I added this morning Bio K Plus. My stomach is not quiet, and already had to go twice ( mushy and soft), Bloated too, more than previous days?

Should I cut my probiotics little bit? Maybe adding third kind (BIo K PLus), was not the best idea right now?

p.s. I am not even mentioning depression, crying, and self - pity.

Anyone, please, and thank you much!

p.s. the site is literally saving my life

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Re: Can a person take too much probiotic?

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:21 pm

Yes, probiotics can cause these symptoms. Some people seem to tolerate higher levels of probiotics; others cannot tolerate any probiotics. Try reducing and see if that helps.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Thank you much, will cut Bio K PLus for now!

God bless

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I have been very sensitive to Probiotics and had to carefully adjust the dose. I had to cut out the Kefir and only take VSL#3 (ONE!) now. I was taking 2 but cut it back post CDIFF.

I would cut back and try and find a level that works for you. The depression(crying) really goes along with the GUT illness, it has a great effect on the emotions and CDIFF is a very frustrating illness. Only those who have gone through it can really understand.

Be kind to yourself as you work through this, try treating yourself to some relaxation music, a funny movie, a short walk to take notice nature are just a few ideas. We do understand here, I have never tried so hard to recover from anything like this and it has been a tough journey. I also had thyroid cancer a few years ago....which feels like absolutely nothing compared to CDIFF now.
You will get there and be well again, it may just take some time. One step each day....

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Each gram of normal flora is made up of 10,000,000,000,000 individual bacteria.
Thats far more than in a probiotic pill.
None of them are the probiotics we take in pill form!
60% of the dry weigh of a turd are dead or dieing bacteria so each bm has thousands of pills worth of bacteria
In small doses temporary probiotics (they are all temporary) might take up the receptors that c.diff wants to occupy.
BUT as with anything that is not normaly found in the gut a reaction is probable if you take too much.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Thank you so much dear friends. I really do not think I would be able to go through this without you - I mean it.

I will seriously cut the probiotics - I feel horrible today. I also am extremely depressed and sad. But, as you say, that is what this horrible thing does to a person.

I will just mention that depression and anxiety are not unknown to me - on the contrary. I was finally getting better, and then this happened. Some people just do not have it easy, do they? I feel like I can share everything with you, and makes it all easier.

Good, good health to all of us.

Ismaila

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 pm

I am no stranger to what Winston Churchill called the Black Dog.
Just realise that theres reasonable freaking out and then theres the other type!
Reasonable is normal.
The other type is sort of normal but not helpfull.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:18 pm

It does sound like you are taking an awful lot of probiotics. I would definitely cut down. I only took 2 VSL-3s with active c-diff, along with drinking Kefir and eating yogurts. In recovery, I took 1-VSL 3 and 1-Florastor, along with Kefir and yogurts. That is what I was able to tolerate. For others, they can't even tolerate the smallest amount of probiotics. I would cut down and see if you improve.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:01 pm

I am a great example of someone who can't take much in the way of probiotics because I get gas, bloating, cramping and D. Florastor even gave me a rash. I can only take a small part of a VSL#3 capsule now. I would definitely cut down. Kefir is also very good, but you can't just pump the probiotics into your system. They help me with IBS symptoms, but honestly, they did nothing to prevent c diff relapses.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:08 am

So far, there's no scientific evidence that probiotics prevent C. difficile. Yet there seems to be widespread belief that they do. I'm not sure why.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Treatments”