Relapsed - Update

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Relapsed - Update

Postby Ismaila » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:50 am

I was started last nigh ,while in ER, on Vancomycin , 10 days, 4 times a day. They actually talked to my GI, and that is what he said. He wants to see me anyway, and I will talk FMT with him too. I found out too that he is, apparently, one of the most respected GIs in the area.

The ER doctor told me that many people get cured after Vancomycin. I ended up in ER because I got worsened symptoms 7 days after last pill of Flagyl, and was dehydrated.

Any promising Vanco treatment story is welcome! I want to hear some good news for a change.

Thank you all

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapsed - Update

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 am

Hi Ismaila
Sorry you relapsed ,and ended up in ER .As you can see Flagyl is becoming more and more ineffective these days.I found Vanco to be superior to Flagyl because it kills less good flora and has no side effects , it's really easy to tolerate , has a higher cure rate.Your doctor is right , many people got cured after a course of Vanco and i really hope it does the trick for you too.Lisa is one of the mods who was cured by a course of Vanco , i'm sure she will post soon.Good luck and keep us posted!

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:47 am

Thank you so much Georgina, and Thank you Lisa, in advance!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:49 am

Hi Ismaila - So sorry that you relapsed after Flagyl. As Georgina said, I was cured after just one round of Vanco. It was a 14 day course - I believe 3 times per day. It piggybacked off of 9 days of Flagyl hell. However, two weeks prior to that relapse, I took a 10 day course of Flagyl. I actually tolerated it enough to get through the course and actually thought it worked. Two weeks after finishing it, is when I relapsed. The Flagyl was unbearable to me the second time around. It made me sicker than the c-diff. Once I was switched to vanco, I felt soooo much better. I was lucky to have no side effects on vanco. It is not unusual that one round of Flagyl doesn't cure you of c-diff, so try not to get discouraged. Vanco has cured many after Flagyl has failed. As Georgina said, it also doesn't kill as much good gut flora. I will pray that this round of vanco does the trick for you. However, it is always good to have a next step plan in place with your GI, God forbid of another relapse. My next plan would have most likely been a vanco taper. After that, probably Dificid, and then the FMT.

You should really read through Success Stories, as it is a whole topic filled with positive outcomes. I actually posted there after my year anniversary of being cured. Remember, the majority DO get cured after one or two rounds of meds. And also remember, even the most stubborness of cases DO get cured as well. There are many posters who have had long battles and have posted their positive outcomes as well. This will end well no matter what and you will be rid of it. Be optimistic that the vanco will do the trick. It has a higher cure rate than Flagyl. I wish that doctors prescribed vanco or dificid as the first line of treatment. The problem is that they are so much more expensive. Flagyl isn't even FDA approved as a treatment for c-diff. However, it has been shown to cure mild cases and it's the cheapest, so the protocol has it that doctors prescribe it first. And, I believe Dificid was actually designed to be the first line of treatment. I bet if Dificid or Vanco was prescribed first, there would be a lot less relapses. That's my opinion anyway.

Stay positive and feel better,
Lisa

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks a million! Yes, I really need to stay positive.

I will still talk about FMT with my GI, because, I heard that now they are clinically testing it for other conditions, including IBS. I have been diagnosed with IBS 10 years ago, and I have been slave to my stomach pretty much all that time.

Will keep you all posted.

God bless!

Return to “Treatments”