Question of FMT - please read

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Question of FMT - please read

Postby Ismaila » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:28 am

So, I think it is back. I was fine after Flagyl for a week, and then started getting multiple BMs again, and pain and urgency. I am scared to eat anything.

The only thing is that there is no that horrible smell, but everything else is there. Also, my rectum is painful and under some weird pressure. Will call GI tomorrow.

I do not know , of course, without testing if it is C DIff relapse, or something else, but it just is not good. I have two questions for those who may know:

1. Is it wise to ask GI to put me on Dificid instead of Vanco, if it is positive? I know I am not going back to Flagyl even if I have to change doctor.

2. Can a person request FM transplant, without trying all the meds first? Would doctors accept to do it for a patient, after just one dosage of medicine?

Thank you all in advance

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question of FMT - please read

Postby NanciT » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:38 am

There are many GI's who want patients to try 3 rounds of medications before going to FMT, but as I have read on the board over the last 2 years that seems to be changing. It get's down to your GI. Mine did not do FMT's at all and could refer me to no one, when I did find someone in driving distance, it took 4 months for me to get in. It often depends where you live or are willing to travel too.
Most will go on Vanco after Flagyl. The cost of Vanco is much less than Dificid. The big issue is to make sure this is not IBS and an actual relapse.
Getting a second GI opinion I feel is always wise, we have a list and you can check to see if there is someone near you. Finding a GI familiar with CDIFF is the very best thing you can do, it can take some research.
Hope you are feeling better soon!
NanciT

richlin
Regular Contributor

Re: Question of FMT - please read

Postby richlin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:22 pm

I got a FMT via colonoscopy by my GI 4 days after my 7 day Flagyl treatment.

It's not a hard and fast rule to take multiple ABX before a FMT is prescribed.

Return to “Treatments”