Completely freaking out!Please help

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Completely freaking out!Please help

Postby Ismaila » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:40 am

So, today is my last day on Flagy. (500mg , 40 pills).

Last night I kept on waking up endless number of times drenched in fear , anxiety, thinking C Diff came back , and I have to go to the bathroom.

In reality - I did not have to go. But the fear was horrible. It is almost if I am thinking that bacterium knows this is my last day, and just waiting for Flagyl to finish so it can strike again.

My stomach is queasy again, and I am dreading everything. I am worried that my anxiety will so high that it will give me D.

What shall I do? How to calm down, and wait? Also - can there be relapse while still on a working medication?

Thank you for every piece of advice.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Completely freaking out!Please help

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:12 am

I know how hard this part is. We all went through that fear if it's actually gone for good or is it going to come back again. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do, except wait and see what happens. Continue with the probiotics if you can tolerate them. People who are still having symptoms at the end of medication - meaning the frequent watery D, most likely still have the existing infection and need a different treatment. I would call a relapse when you are feeling better, the D has stopped, and then shortly after, the symptoms come back. What happens is that the treatment kills off the active c diff bacteria, but then some go into a spore form (not active). As soon as the meds are gone and there is no good bacteria present to ward them off, they come back out in active form, therefore causing a relapse. This is what I understand to be the case. Somebody else can clarify or add.

You have to try and get your mind off of things because you are right, the anxiety and worrying can cause IBS. Also see 3 Day Rule - IBS under CDI Info. Many of us had to deal with IBS after c-diff, which can present similar symptoms. Try to get into every day life to get your mind off of the anxiety as much as you can. Also, if you do relapse, and I pray that you don't, don't get nervous or discouraged, as Flagyl has become more and more resistant to c-diff. However, it is possible to be done with it after just one round of Flagyl too. There are posters who were cured after the first round. If symptoms return, your doctor should treat with vanco or dificid next.

We all understand your fear and anxiety. But, you will get through this. As time goes by, the anxiety will get better. But, unfortunately with c-diff, time in recovery is our best friend. Hang in there and hopefully the c-diff is gone for good!

Lisa

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:19 am

Thank you so much Lisa!
Can a relapse happen while still on active medication, though? In reality?
Thank you!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:32 am

I am thinking that the correct terminology isn't really a relapse, but that the initial active infection isn't gone yet if you are still on meds. There are instances when the meds aren't strong enough to get rid of all the c-diff bacteria, which symptoms will remain and the frequent D isn't gone. In these cases, people are usually switched to a different med such as vanco or dificid, or the dosing is adjusted up. I think a relapse is when the c-diff is colonized in spore form (not active, no symptoms), and then decides to come back out after you are done with medication. It's just all terminology though. If you are having frequent watery D with the urgency to go throughout the day and feeling unwell, c-diff is most likely still present.

It sounds like your D has subsided, and that the Flagyl has worked. So, all you can do is wait and see now. It's the hard part, I know. Recovery can be a roller coaster ride, with bad days and good days.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:47 pm

This definitely is a bad day, Lisa. I do not know what to think, scared to eat, probably will not put anything in my mouth. I am also dreading the night too.
You are right - my D completely vanished, until today, on my last day of Flagyl. What on earth. God help me.

Thank you , though, so much for talking to me.

daisy
Regular User

Postby daisy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Think positive, nerves will affect your gut too. I understand you, I went through that, but you need try to keep your mind busy with other thoughts. You are on the road to recovery. Keep eating your safe foods for a while and introduce new ones one at a time. If something upsets your stomach, follow the 3 day rule. It helped me so much, as I suffered post IBS for 6 months. You too will be cured!! I will keep you in my prayers. Xoxo

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:39 am

You might talk to your doctor about taking some anti-anxiety meds. Some of them can help to calm down the GI tract. I know some posters have taken Xanax or other meds that helped. You don't need to take them forever, but perhaps it might be something to consider during this difficult time.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:19 am

Dear people,

Thank you so much for your incredible support! Praise and thanks to High Heaven to those who manage the site,this God given place where we can comfort each other.

Dear Beth - will try to stay away from Xanax and similar, because, barely a year ago I stopped anti anxiety and anti depression meds after long ten years! I will just try to go through this like a trooper!

All the best and a lot fo health to all of you!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:47 am

If you are having IBS symptoms, you can ask your GI for Levsin, it's an antispasmodic that will calm the colon down. I have taken it on and off as many posters have.
The anxiety goes right along with CDIFF as you can read here on the site, as you start to recover you will feel it less and less.
Hopefully as you have completed your treatment, you will feel better. It does take time.
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:29 pm

I don't blame you for not wanting to start the anti-anxiety meds if you were on them for that long. How about exercise daily, like walking? It is supposed to help. I know I feel less anxiety if I walk or keep more physically active.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:52 pm

Ismalia,
See Diagnosis and Tests, also Recurrent vs Relapsing. Some of this info is old but still relevant. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1076#p6958

You will be fine - eventually. Everyone gets up tight when they are going off meds. Do try exercise as Beth suggests. I would not be here today without it.

Will remind you a heating pad can be helpful for pain and cramping. Lie on your left side, pull your knees up under your chin in a fetal position and put pad on abdomen.

You must eat. If nothing else, drink one of the supplemental drinks such as Boast or Ensure. Be sure and stay hydrated.

Best to you.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 am

Dear friends, Thank you. So scared, though. Trying to stay positive and hopeful

DawMa95
Regular User

Postby DawMa95 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:41 am

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. CDiff is definitely a tough thing to go through. Your anxiety may also be routed from the Flagyl itself. I had really bad side effects from that medication including hallucinations. It was awful. I know that it is hard, but try not to worry too much. Make sure that you take a good probiotic like Florastor or VSL-3 while on Flagyl to restore your good gut flora. Also, do not worry if you relapse. Some people do off of Flagyl (including myself). I went on Vancomycin and that seemed to get rid of it for now. I still have post-infectious symptoms. Please realize that is common after this infection. It is a good idea to continue with probiotics after infection, but as always consult your doctor. You are almost there. Keep your chin up. Do you take magnesium at all? That may take the edge off in terms of anxiety.

Return to “Treatments”