Q on probiotics, please help

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Q on probiotics, please help

Postby Ismaila » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Can a person take 2 different probiotics at the same time? I am on Flagyl (half way through), and on Sacc. bulardii , and doing pretty good, thank God! (do not want to jinx it). But I would like to add now probiotic L. plantarum 299v, also by Jarrow's. I heard it is extremely helpful as well, especially while on Flagyl. But I do not want to give up sacc. bulardii, it has done so much good to me.

Thank you for any reply!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Q on probiotics, please help

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:09 am

Some do take more than one probiotic at a time. Be sure and space them as far from the Flagyl as possible or the Flagyl will kill some of the good bacteria. Some docs advise waiting until you are off antibiotics to take probiotics, and some think probiotics are a waste of money. Do what feels right to you. C. Diff is a very individual disease and affects everyone differently.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 am

I think it's ok to add a different kind, but only take one pill to see how you do first. I took 2-VSL3s with active c-diff per day. In recovery, I took 1-VSL3 and 1-Florastor daily. I actually still take this and I'm 16 months out. I was always able to tolerate this quantity though. As Bobbie said, it's a very individual thing.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:07 pm

I took 4 probiotics during and after cdiff: acidophilus, culturelle, florastor, and primadophilus reuteri. The only one I can say for sure helped was the reuteri, which gave me my appetite back, so I could stop losing weight. I added them slowly and increased the amounts slowly. I took them together and spaced them apart from vanco. I also drank kefir. I continued them for about 6 months after cdiff, and then tapered off of them slowly. Now (many years after cdiff, but I still have sensitive innards) I take VSL#3 and drink kefir.

DawMa95
Regular User

Postby DawMa95 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:35 am

I took Florastor and 1/2 packet of VSL-3 daily while on Vancomycin. As far as I am aware you can do two types. It is a matter of what your body can tolerate. Keep in mind some probiotics may give you loose stool too, so try not to worry to much as it may not always be the CDiff that is causing diarrhea or loose stool.

rradbil
Brand New Poster

Postby rradbil » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:35 pm

So far I have found the probiotic, L. plantarum 299v, by Jarrow's, by far the best that I have taken. I have tried Align, Culturelle, Florastor, VSL-3, etc. and I truly feel that 299v has a more positive effect than any of the others. It sometimes is more difficult to find, but well worth the effort. I have also wondered about the advice to take probiotics during antibiotics since obviously antibiotics kill bacteria, but I have found that after antibiotics 299v really makes a difference. Maybe just me, but I would swear by it.

I had c-diff 1 3/4 years ago and until taking this, I was anything but "normal." I'm still paranoid about any stomach upset or weirdness.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:12 am

I think probably most, if not all of us are paranoid about stomach weirdness. I am 3 1/2 years out and still get paranoid.
I take Align daily but when I am afraid I might need an antibiotic or have used one (like during surgery) I add Florastor back with it for 3 months.

Rita

Return to “Treatments”