Question on Flagyl

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Question on Flagyl

Postby Ismaila » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:16 pm

I am on Flagyl , and it was hard, side effects wise, but getting much better. My case was apparently mild to moderate, definitely not severe. Has anyone here actually get healed completely after one dosage of Flagyl ( 500 mg , 40 pills)? Much appreciated

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question on Flagyl

Postby georgina » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:06 am

Hi Ismaila
I'm so sorry you are struggling with Cdiff but glad you have a mid case.Usually Flagyl is the first line treatment for Cdiff , altough not FDA approved anymore , it's choosen by doctors due to it's low cost.Many here took it including me but few of us had results with it.It has awful side effects , made me sicker then Cdiff and it didn't cure the infection.My grandfather had Cdiff one year before me , he's 79 years old and he had a severe infection (D up to 15 times a day with blood,lost a lot of weight) was cured after just 10 days of flagyl.Good luck!

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:34 am

Thank you so much for your input.

Flagyl actually IS FDA approved for C DIFF. exactly. Doctors would not be allowed to prescribe it if not FDA approved, and a person would not be able to get it on prescription in any pharmacy in the U.S. - as simple as that. That is not how prescription medicine works - once it is not FDA approved, nobody can prescribe it ( my son is a doctor, although , obviously, not GI).

It is also the first line medicine for C Diff. on NIH web site, as well as the web site of the Great Britain's health ministry.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:18 pm

So happy you were able to tolerate Flagyl and are doing well! We do have posters here who have taken it and done well...and moved on to be CDIFF Free!
I was also considered a "mild" case when first started with D only 3-4 in the morning and at the time I didn't have abdominal pain. But Flagyl made me very sick as it has many on this site. Thankfully, my GI was out on vacation and his partner started me on Vanco.
I would like to see Vanco be the first line of treatment but as Georgina mentioned, FLagyl is cost effective and that is why so many of us start with it. I am hoping as I have seen so much more information come out on CDIFF since my diagnosis in March 2014 that we get to a point we have a set Protocol of prescribing for this terrible illness.
Happy you have done so well so quickly!
NanciT

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Thank you so much, all, for your responses. I am hoping for the best - we will see!

Flagyl certainly is pretty hard to tolerate. I will go through it, though, and I hope I will be cured soon.

All the best to all!

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:03 pm

I took flagyl for 10 days in August and tested negative in September :) i haven't had a relapse yet. I was also a mild case...and i tolerated the Flagyl pretty well.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:43 am

Hi, Ismaila,

There are many people who are cured with Flagyl and don't relapse - but they don't post here because they are back to enjoying life again. : )

And it looks like georgina is correct. It says on the Mayo Clinic site that Metro (Flagyl) is NOT FDA approved for treating c diff: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20029664 It says: "For mild to moderate infection, doctors usually prescribe metronidazole (Flagyl), taken by mouth. Metronidazole is not FDA approved for C. difficile infection, but has been shown to be effective in mild to moderate infection."

I hope you continue to feel better!

Blessings,
Nikki

Return to “Treatments”