Flagyl vs Vanco Indecision

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
hendrix
New User

Re: Flagyl vs Vanco Indecision

Postby hendrix » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks so much for all of your replies. Lisa, today was pretty much the same progression as my last relapse. This is the 3rd day of frequent (5 - 6 so far and it's not quite dinner time) urgent loose somewhat crampy BMs and today came the presence of blood, mucous, and the smell all exactly like where I started when first diagnosed positive. Actually had to wake up in the middle of the night, which is a new low for me. Couldn't sleep after that, the concern is consuming all my thoughts. I will give it time because it's Tuesday and the 14-day re-test waiting period isn't up until this Saturday. But I fully expect it to be positive again. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst has been my motto. But when I review treatment so far- Flagyl had only mild side effects for me up until day 7 (all I was prescribed) but it actually was the only time since this ordeal began that stool itself was returning to normal. On my 14-day vanco regime, it remained loose the whole time, just the frequency was reduced. I know TMI, sorry. I'm now contemplating either another longer round of Flagyl, like 14-days, or asking about liquid vanco, though I have a feeling that'll be like speaking a foreign language around here. They didn't even have the pill form of vanco anywhere- had to be special ordered. The vanco was so easy to take it actually seemed like it wasn't doing anything. And if my hunch is right, it didn't, if I'm being a proof is in the pudding kinda person. At $400 vs around $40 for flagyl... worst that can happen is the flagyl starts to really bother me so I stop and go back to the doc. Am I crazy?

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:50 pm

If you are having B and M and symptoms similar to previous relapses I would not wait until Saturday. Doctors can treat based on symptoms if they recur soon after treatment, and not wait for testing. What strength of vancomycin were you taking? If you were taking 125 mg 4X/day and relapse, another possibility is vancomycin at 250 mg 4/day for 14 days with a taper, or Dificid (especially if you have good insurance, because Dificid is quite expensive). I had mild C. diff that kept returning after several rounds and tapers of vancomcyin, but it seems that Dificid worked for me.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 am

Those symptoms mean you go back to.your Dr today, not saturday.
If symptoms return like this the 14 day wait for testing does not apply.
Dr should not test and should treat you on symptoms alone.
If they want to wait for test results or you dont agree with their treatment ask them to check the guidelines.

http://gi.org/guideline/diagnosis-and-m ... d-colitis/

Without insurance liquid vanco should be around $100.
Flagyl has already failed (should have been minimum 10 days) so dont go back to it.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:48 pm

I agree with the others. B and M should not be ignored. Given these new symptoms, it sounds like you may be in relapse. I am so sorry that you are getting worse and not better. I would not take Flagyl again. A vanco or dificid taper is the way I would go. Given the financial issues, the vanco taper may be a better option for you than Dificid. Call your doctor and you should be evaluated based on symptoms alone without a re-test.

DawMa95
Regular User

Postby DawMa95 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:38 am

I faired better with Vanco than Flagyl. Vanco seems to have a better success rate; although, depending on the severity Flagyl works for some. It seems as though you tried Flagyl with no success. I know that a lot of people had success with Vanco or a Difficid or even tapers of the two. At three weeks, I am CDiff free post Vanco (crossing fingers still). I have to say I still don't feel so great. I guess it takes a while to get out of your system. I did tolerate Vanco, but Flagyl I definitely did not. The fact that you can hold down Kefir and other foods is a plus. I imagine that you would do well with a taper, but I did not go on a taper myself. I did Vanco four times per day for ten days.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:43 am

Agree. See or contact your doc tomorrow.

Return to “Treatments”