Need opinions please ! *Rifaximin*

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
mach1320
Contributor

Need opinions please ! *Rifaximin*

Postby mach1320 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

So long story short for the sake of time,I've found myself in s pickle. I finished my first and only c diff treatment about 16 months ago. One round of vanco. Have dealt with the normal ibs but these last four weeks have been way rough . I was retested for c diff and parasite but they wouldn't test my mush for c diff as it wasn't "water" which is a whole nother thing. They want me to see a dietician but I know this is more than ibs and asked for further testing and sibo. Doctor said he can either do the breath test or just prescribe Rifaximin based off symptoms. He understands I may want to test given my past c diff but it might not be possible for another month....

I'm in a tight spot. What do I do? Take the risk and just start the antibiotics ? I feel terrible and I really think I have something going inside I know my body and this feels like I'm not right. Not ibs and not a virus something feels off. What's the relapse history with Rifaximin ? This is my first time having to make this choice since c diff and it's terrifying . I am taking florastor

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Need opinions please ! *Rifaximin*

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:14 pm

I personally would not take any antibiotics without a positive test. I know you are not feeling well, but to treat unnecessarily would only make things worse, in my opinion. That goes for both c-diff and sibo. I wouldn't treat either without knowing for sure if you indeed have it.

I hope you get answers soon and you feel better.
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 pm

I would have the breath test for SIBO. I took Xifaxan for that and it was hard to take for me. It is also given as a chaser to c diff. I did not relapse with c diff from it, but first find out if you have SIBO. If you don't, then no point in taking the Xifaxan. There is also a blood test for IBS called IBSchek. It is not given in all places, but if it is given in your area, it might be worth having it. I tested very positive for SIBO after c diff and I also showed positive on the IBSchek.

daisy
Regular User

Postby daisy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:00 am

Beth, do you know if that Ibscheck test has to be done while you are having an Ibs flare up or can it be done at any time, even if you are doing fine?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:12 am

It can be anytime because it measures some kind of toxins and antibodies. I was not having a flare and I tested positive.

mach1320
Contributor

Postby mach1320 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:36 am

Initially I was told breath test could be over s month out but given its just two weeks from today I'm going to try to wait. The blood test almost sounds like a test for leaky gut from what you described ? My concern is if the sibo test comes back negative I will just go to a dietician I feel this is more then that. Anything I eat gives me d for the last four weeks and all I eat is chicken rice and crackers...

Pera
New User

Postby Pera » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:55 pm

I spoke to cdiff foundation today . Asked about this
Medication . They said it sometimes caused
Cdiff . Dificid is one of latest drugs

Return to “Treatments”