Cholestyramine

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
skizamii
Contributor

Cholestyramine

Postby skizamii » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Is it ok to take cholestyramine while being treated? I know that I have to space it between vancomycin, but all my doctors say not to stop or slow down diarrhea, which cholestyramine supposedly does.

I keep going back and forth between loose/yellow and formed/brown stools. When it goes loose my stomach starts churning and I get weak/fatigued. It could be IBS-D, but seems as though Vanco and c. diff are doing a tug of war right now.

jjglad
Regular Contributor

Re: Cholestyramine

Postby jjglad » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:42 am

Dr. just put me on Cholestyramine yesterday and I have to say, it is tough to get down. Gritty, but I have read it does help people with D. Cholestyramine and EnteraGam are suppose to help bind to the CDiff toxins and draw it out, so it is slowing down the bowels, but does work like Immodium if that makes sense??

Have you tried it yet?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:42 pm

It was originally a medicine used to treat high cholesterol. During my son's second bout with c diff, it was the only medicine his ped. GI put him on. He was terribly Ill but it worked. (Has about a 10 percent cure rate.) When he broke out In a rash,I thought it was the medication. It was not. He had chicken pox. He was so ill his doctor said he should not attend summer camp that the kids entering middle school attended. He agreed not to go. We waited a couple of months, and as a reward, instead took him to a Pink Floud concert. Now THA was a experience.

When be entered middle,school, they had a school performance where they showed photographs of summer camp,I came home and cried - something I rarely do - ran out of tears years ago.

Yes, it binds the toxins but space it as far apart from other meds - especially c diff meds. - as it will also bind them. Check with your pharmacist about other meds. It does help some. Give it a chance.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:53 pm

My dr put me on it when I had my second bout if it..I am currently trying to figure out if I'm having a relapse or at rally bad really long ibs attack, I test tomorrow. Anyway it does slow things down.. Idk if you've tried it yet since I just came across this. I only used half a packet sometimes unless I was really going a lot after recovery. It made me constipated a few times and couldn't go the next day and felt full. Good luck

Return to “Treatments”