Tigecycline for the treatment of severe CDiff

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
georgina
Long Time Contributor

Tigecycline for the treatment of severe CDiff

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:55 am

Four patients with successful treatment of severe refractory CDI with intravenous tigecycline. All of the patients had the following severity markers recently reviewed: leukocytosis, elevated creatinine level, elevated lactate level, hypoalbuminemia, fever, and signs of severe colitis. Previous standard therapy had failed for 3 of the 4 patients, whereas 1 patient was treated primarily with tigecycline. In all cases, the symptoms of CDI subsided within 1 week after initiation of treatment with tigecycline. In 3 of the 4 patients, a colectomy was considered. After initiation of tigecycline therapy, all patients recovered quickly, and surgery was no longer indicated. Tigecycline is a broad-spectrum, intravenous antimicrobial approved for the treatment of complicated skin and soft-tissue infections and complicated abdominal infections.

TowerL
Contributor

Re: Tigecycline for the treatment of severe CDiff

Postby TowerL » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Hello Georgina. I read about that study. Not sure if its the same one but I saw it was from 2011. I'm wondering if it is still being pursued or if things have subsided now that FMT's are becoming more common as a treatment for recurring C diff.

Return to “Treatments”