GI office study with Codazolid or stick with Vanco taper?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
jjglad
Regular Contributor

GI office study with Codazolid or stick with Vanco taper?

Postby jjglad » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:22 pm

I have been dealing with CDiff since early Oct. I started out on Flagyl and could not handle the side effects, so on day 4 I switched to Vancomycin. Completed 10 days of Vancomycin and my stool culture came back positive 12 days later. I am back on Vanco for 10 days and then will taper down to 2 a day for a week and then 1 a day for a week.

My question to you all is...my GI office has a study going on right now for people in my situation who did not respond to the first course of Vanco...they want to add a "suspension" of Codazolid to my daily Vanco routine. It is NOT Deficid, she just said it is in the Deficid family of antibiotics. Would you do it?

Would you try something new like this or stick with the Vanco taper for now and see if that works this time around? Torn between the two...would LOVE to try the study if I KNEW it would CURE me...but who knows...just worried Vanco and this Codazolid will be a lot for my gut to handle! From what I can see most trials/studies on Codazolid have been done by giving people either Vanco or Codazolid, not both?!

TIA!
Joanna
Last edited by jjglad on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: GI office study or stick with Vanco taper?

Postby NanciT » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:02 pm

I have not heard of any new antibiotics for CDIFF. Are they doing an FDA Study? What is the medication? You may be able to research to get more information. I would look at all the information they have and usually this is provided to patients but often in studies some will get a placebo. Did they review this with you?

jjglad
Regular Contributor

Re: GI office study or stick with Vanco taper?

Postby jjglad » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks, Nancy! I am not too sure about this. It is a blind study so I wont know whether I am on the new Rx or a placebo! But the side effects of the new Rx are headache, confusion, dizziness, gas, indigestion and itching...ummmm...???

The new Drug is called "cadazalid" as best I can tell from what she was saying. They make it sound like it is some sister or cousin drug to Deficid...??? TAken twice a day along with the Vanco I am already taking.

It is nice that I would be closely followed and get extra stool samples done during the trial, but...

I have also asked the GI about getting a sensitivity test done to see if my strain of CDiff will even respond to Vanco again, since it didn't work the first time...

Decisions, decisions.....

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: GI office study with Codazolid or stick with Vanco taper

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:23 am

I answered you in another section, but I wouldn't do it. There are trials with FMT solutions - Rebiotix is one and there is the PunchCd3 that someone here on the site had done. At least those don't have side effects.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:34 am

Study it before you decide.
Start from here.
https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01983683

http://www.clinicalleader.com/doc/fda-g ... rrhea-0001

I cant see any reason to take it alongside vanco because the vanco will defeat the gut flora sparing properties of the Cadazolid and thats the only reason it might be more effective.

JeannieR
Regular Contributor

Postby JeannieR » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:36 am

HI there! These types of decisions are hard to make, as I was in the rebiotix punch cd2 study. Which was in phase 2, so I had the chance of getting a placebo. My first enema was real, my second was a placebo. It did work for me, as next Wednesday I will be 12 weeks out. And I am doing great besides some occasional gas and IBS as far as certain foods go. Your trial is different obviously, and I can understand the difficult decision. To me, I would research carefully what side effects have been reported to see if it is worth the chance. Chances are it could heal you, chances are it wont do a thing. I almost pulled out of the punch cd2 study at the last minute, but my husband talked me into doing it bc what if it DID work? Im happy I listened to him. But like I said this isn't the same thing and I can sympathize with you, as it is a hard choice. Good luck with your choice and you will get over this no matter what, it just takes awhile in some cases. There is life after cdiff believe it or not!!!

Return to “Treatments”