Will the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole cause a CDiff replaspe?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Samsoon
New User

Will the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole cause a CDiff replaspe?

Postby Samsoon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Hello all, I'm fairly new here.

Long story short I was prescribed Amoxacillan in late August this year and I got C Diff. I did one round of Flagly (which was utter hell), but it did get rid of the C Diff. Now I have another infection and my doctor has prescribed sulfamethozazole which a bactrim, but it is not broad spectrum which is good. Will this cause another round of C Diff? I plan on taking a florastor pill an hour after each antibiotic and the 5 billion Pearl probiotics later. Has anyone else had to take this antibiotic before? Has anyone had to take more antibiotics after getting C Diff, but you didn't get it again from the antibiotics? I'm scared to death of getting C Diff again.

Thanks in advance for answering! I'm glad we have this forum!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Will the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole cause a CDiff repla

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:21 pm

It is not broad spectrum which lessens the chance of c diff, but there are no guarantees. See CDI Antibiotics. Best of luck.

We are all afraid of getting c diff again if we have to take an antibiotic. Some do; some don't - no way of predicting "for sure."

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Will the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole cause a CDiff repla

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:30 am

My mom is 95 and has had to take antibiotics after her c difficile. She takes probiotics daily and she did not relapse when she needed the antibiotics.

Return to “Treatments”