Vancomycin Allergy?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
skizamii
Contributor

Vancomycin Allergy?

Postby skizamii » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:28 pm

I had a relapse of c. Diff and they started me on 250 mg of vanco 4 times per day. I have had issues with what I thought might mlbe an allergic ration in the past, but went ahead with it anyway because I can't tolerate Dificid. Well last night I got itchy, slow heart beat, muscle stiffness, sore neck/jaw, difficulty breathing, stomach cramps, and flushing of my upper body. I know vanco isn't supposed to be bioabsorbable, but after 3 days just like last time these symptoms started up again. Taking benedryl seems to calm the symptoms down.

Has anyone else had these issues? My c. Diff doesnt respond to flagyl, I'm allergic to vanco, and have a bad reaction to dificid. I'm in a world of hurt with no options.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vancomycin Allergy?

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:01 pm

I know of one other person who had an allergic reaction to the vanco pills - a rash of sorts. The only thing I know of is if you have what is called "leaky gut" or hyperpermeable intestine, maybe some of the drug is getting into your bloodstream. I do know that when I took vanco, my heartbeat slowed down a lot and I felt very fatigued and got nauseated. It subsided after a week or so if I remember right. If you can't tolerate Dificid and Flagyl doesn't work, the only other medication that I know of is Xifaxan, but it does not work on all strains of c diff. I think it works on something like 70%, but if yours is one of the ones that it helps, that might be another option. I would look into FMT if I were you if the medication does not work or agree with you.

Return to “Treatments”