How long do the effects of Flagyl last?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Samsoon
New User

How long do the effects of Flagyl last?

Postby Samsoon » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi all,
Great news I just my c. Diff test back from the doctors and it came back negative!

However, I'm still feeling like a truck hit me after Flagyl, so my question is- how long before you feel like normal after Flagyl is done? I only had the WD that is the tell tail sign of c. Diff for 3 days, so I'm thinking the Flagyl has done more damage.

Also, does diflucan cause c. Diss as well? I have a yeast infection I can tell. I'm afraid to take pills now thinking it might cause an upset.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: How long do the effects of Flagyl last?

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Call a pharmacist and ask how long it takes Flagyl to clear the body. I know some have suffered side effects - especially neurological problems (usually numbness) - for months afterwards.

See a doc. re your yeast problem. Also, see CDI - Yeast Infections.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Flagyl often causes yeast infections. I had oral thrush from it. If I were you, if you are uncomfortable and can't wait until you can get in with the doctor, you might try one of the over-the-counter topical treatments like Monistat and for long term balancing of bacteria, you might look into some probiotics. There are a couple I use that are geared specifically towards women's health issues: Renew Life Vaginal Support and Primadophilus Optima Women's. S. Boulardii also seems to help combat yeast. In fact, if you catch it before it gets really out of hand, the probiotics alone might be enough to take care of the problem. These are also good for the gut as well but start with one at a time and see how it affects your tummy. Some people get gas and other GI upset from probiotics. Kefir is another good option. Probiotics are also helpful for preventing relapses with c-diff. There is a good article under media reports about the benefits of kefir for c-diff. If you already know all this about probiotics, I apologize. I have been off site for awhile and haven't seen your earlier posts.

As far as the Flagyl, it took me several weeks before my appetite started to improve and the anxiety started to lift. It also took me awhile to get rid of the thrush. I used Nystatin swish and swallow, but I just swished it, didn't swallow it. I also took s. boulardii which I think helped with the thrush.

Glad to hear your test was negative. That is great news!
Bea

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:54 am

I've been having numbness and tingling in my right hand as well as joint stiffness in both hands and severe anxiety. It seemed to start up after I was on Flagyl for a week in September, things got a bit better, then I was on it again for another week at Christmas. 3 or 4 days after I started it at Christmas I got severe agitation and the numbness/tingling started back up again in full force. I've been off it for nearly 2 weeks, but the anxiety/numbness/tingling hasn't gone away.

My doctor thought I had a damaged ulnar nerve in my left elbow, but wondering now if its not peripheral neuropathy due to the flagyl I've been on. How long did it take for you all to get back to normal after Flagyl?

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi, Ben! So sorry you're dealing with all of that. I've heard of anxiety causing numbness/tingling (before c diff I had episodes where I experienced both of those things). But I've also heard of folks getting reactive arthritis after c diff and that sounds, possibly, like part of what you're dealing with. I'm not sure if it's from the infection itself or Flagyl, but I've read about it here on the board. Here's an article with symptoms: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... edge-panel

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: How long do the effects of Flagyl l

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Ben,
One of our former frequent posters developed reactive arthritis. It lasted seceral years in her feet and legs and then gradually went away. Believe she was on Flagyl and then switched to Vanco. Others have complained of the side effects of Flagyl such as numbness and tingling.

Check with your doc about diflucan. See CDI - Fungal Infections. Some of the info in that forum needs updating.

Best of luck to you.

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:35 pm

Is it possible to have the numbness and tingling start after you stop Flagyl? It's been 2 weeks and things are ramping up by the day. I see that peripheral neuropathy is common with Flagyl, but don't see anything about delayed onset. Drugs.Com also lists pins and needles as a side effect of oral vanco.

I was sitting in a staff meeting today and all the sudden had intense pain in my head, nausea, ringing in my ears, then stared having visual disturbances (bright lights) and things went blurry. It was like a sudden "flash migraine", I never get migraines.

I'm wondering how much more can go wrong but don't want to know, this crap has to come to an end.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:01 pm

Call your doc asap about your visual symptoms. Also, check with several pharmacists about the side effects of Flagyl.

Return to “Treatments”