Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Liquid Soap

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Suze
New User

Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Liquid Soap

Postby Suze » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi Forum Friends!

I am feeling much better after wrestling with c. Diff since June (probably since late March, but undiagnosed). I have an appt 10/4 with my GI, and am hopeful.

I just completed a 10 day round of Dificid, after Flagyl and Vancomycin were not successful. I continue to drink a mega kefir smoothie (kefir, banana, and ice) daily and take a Jarrow Formula Saccharomyces Boulardi+MOS (one in a.m., one in p.m.). So, until 10/4, I am waiting it out and praying that this dreadful illness is history.

I have spent a lot of time educating myself and learning to be my own advocate. I am from the "trusting generation" (age 59) regarding medical care. After a GI dr who seemed to have no sense of urgency to get me well...I researched here and found a great GI dr who also is a leader in FMT. I certainly hope I am done with c. Diff, but if not, I have faith that my Dr. will give me great "next steps" guidance.

I have probably been over-cautious, but never want anyone to go through what I have these last months. In some of my reading, MRSA info has overlapped with c. Diff info. With MRSA there are a lot of recommendations to use Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Liquid Soap. Does anyone else use this? I have a very personal interest in being confident there are not "bad" spores on my skin....my grandbabies! This liquid soap is no more expensive (from Amazon) than the Dial I use daily.

Just wanting your thoughts. Prayers appreciated for good news on 10/4!

My best wishes to all of you "in the battle"!

Suze from GA

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Liquid Soap

Postby AllisS » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Does this soap contain triclosan? If so, my admittedly cursory Google research seems to equate antimicrobial soaps containing triclosan with antibacterial soap, which, perhaps counterintuitively, is NOT a good idea for warding off C. diff, as it promotes antibiotic resistance, which in fact contributes to C. diff risk.

I don't think you need to worry about infecting your grandchildren (or anyone else) by transmission of spores lurking on your hands. The only known route of C. diff transmission is fecal-to-oral, so as long as you practice meticulous hand hygiene you should be OK.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Suze
New User

Postby Suze » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks for your response! It is very helpful. My first GI dr advised me to stay away from grandkids until clear. I thought it was based on not infecting them. Maybe it was the opposite!!! Anyhow...I changed drs. and never asked the new one.

It is advertised as the kind of soap surgeons use and recommended for folks with MRSA.

Any more thoughts out there?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:49 pm

They usually have people use that soap or something like it before having surgery. I had to do it before getting a lumpectomy. I don't know that it is needed for c difficile, as regular hand washing will clean the spores off your hands. The hibiclens is to have as possible a germ free area when you get an incision or if you get a break in the skin.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:08 am

Theres good bacteria on your skin that is needed to keep it healthy
Antibacterial such as hibiclense kills that bacteria as well.
It will not kills c.diff but will wash it away exactly the same as any other soap.

LLindsey
Brand New Poster

Postby LLindsey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:00 am

Thank you for the information Roy.

Return to “Treatments”