Dificid, saccharomyces boulardii, paleo diet and bleach!

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Abaggins
Brand New Poster

Dificid, saccharomyces boulardii, paleo diet and bleach!

Postby Abaggins » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:08 pm

I am 25 years old and have been fighting cdiff for ten months. My body was severely intolerant to flagyl, and the infection was resistant to vanco.
Taking dificid followed by the probiotic saccharomyces boulardii did the trick, along with cleaning the bathroom regularly with bleach.
I did my laundry regularly, and bought a set of white towels so I can use one a day for showering. I would use disposable gloves after a bm to wipe myself, and avoid using my hands to flush the toilet, turn on the sink, and turn off the lights. I have to admit it felt like i got a bad case of ocd cleaning, but it worked. I was cdiff free.

However, I got reinfected from slacking on my cleaning! I felt like I was in a nightmare when I got the positive result. My stomach and gut was put through the wringer with the meds and now i gotta take it again?!

I took dificid again, but this time I wasnt messing around. so I decided to make some serious lifestyle changes. I went on the paleo diet, and it calmed everything down. I dont feel gross and bloated anymore. My BMs are more on the mild side. I have more energy and could actually enjoy life again! Im much stronger and havent felt this healthy since I was first diagnosed with cdiff.

I finished taking the 2nd round of dificid a week ago, and im in the recovery phase (ibs, nausea, dizziness). However, the paleo diet has been keeping the symptoms at bay.
Fruit smoothies and almond butter are staples in my diet. I stick to eating chicken and avocados also. I try to stay away from veggies, because it causes gas. But when im craving it, ill steam them to reduce the gas.

I hope this advice helps you as much as it did me. I suffered so much from cdiff, and knowing how to beat the horrible life stunting impact it has given me confidence. Feeling positive about beating the infection brings light into my life. I hope it does yours

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Dificid, saccharomyces boulardii, paleo diet and bleach!

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Thx., Abbagins, for the hints. Glad you are doing well. Keep us posted,

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:40 am

I highly doubt you got reinfected due to slacking on the cleaning, or, conversely, that you seemed to beat C. diff earlier due to the cleaning measures that you took. It's easy to get caught up in the OCD (as you put it) aspect of things where C. diff is concerned, but when the sanitation measures take on a life of their own then you have two problems, not just one. Just suggesting that you give yourself a break with the cleaning, as unless you are having egregious hygiene lapses all of this effort is likely for nothing.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Abaggins
Brand New Poster

Postby Abaggins » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:56 am

Im stressing how cdiff has plagued my life. This infection has destroyed all the goals in my path. Doctors cant understand why nothing is working. She told me it must be the bathroom. They keep stressing hygiene, and yes Its comical with the lengths i go.
The spores are the main reason why cleaning is encouraged. To avoid recurring infections.
As for my internal battle, im sure the probiotics helped prevent recurrence of infection.

Abaggins
Brand New Poster

Postby Abaggins » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:59 am

As for beating cdiff the first time, the dificid stopped the rna process. Thus, stunting its proliferation

Pera
New User

Postby Pera » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi I just spoke to the cdiff foundation today
And they highly recommend dificid over
Vanco . They said dificid was formulated
Just for cdiff. And usually gets it first try
It is very expensive. 3,000 for two weeks
Cash and with my insurance it is 1338 for
2 weeks . Anyone else have experience
With dificid ??
Also I just finished two rounds of Vanco
Liquid and it is great while I am on it
But within a week it is back. I am thinking the