Is there any financial aid for vanco?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
emmarose
New User

Is there any financial aid for vanco?

Postby emmarose » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:33 pm

I looked into finical aid for dificid and they will not help people with medicaid. my doctor now only wants me on vanco anyway. New York medicaid is not covering it (perhaps they will after a my doctors appeal). Is there any aid for this? i can't believe it cost 2000$

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is there any financial aid for vanco?

Postby Misscshell24 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:56 pm

The oral liquid suspension for vanco is much cheaper than the pills. This can be done by a compounding pharmacy. I private paid for vanco and it is about $100 for a two week supply. Discuss this option with your doc and let us know how it goes. Also for Dificid, I called dificid assist program, I have medical insurance. Between assist and my doctor's appeal, I was able to get dificid with no copay.
Michelle

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:26 am

This is from your first post
"i do NOT have any diarrhea. Although i do experience moderate cramping,
(When i take certain probioitcs i get intense cramping and loose stools.)
Normally my stools are formed and going once a day (with magnesium)"

C.diff is not a disease if your colonised but do not have classic symptoms.
It can actually be considered a normal part of your gut flora.
Any Dr that is experianced with c.diff would probably not treat you.
Many experts consider that treating asymptomatic c.diff is harmful and can cause it to go full blown.
You have been posting a while getting advice about meds.
All I can say is that if you had the type of c.diff that needs treating you would have became a lot sicker while spending several days debating what med to take.
Before treating it would be VERY wise to get a second but expert opinion!

emmarose
New User

Postby emmarose » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:02 am

Roy, Thanks for you opinion and I will consider that.
I have lost more weight in the days i been debating and am now at 88 pounds. I have other very intense symptoms but no loose stools at all. I have fevers when i eat sometimes. There is some kind of intense flare up going on.
perhaps its something else.
however i did had diarrhea and cramping for two week when i got tested. the diarrhea totally cleared but the cramping that started at the same exact time still comes after i eat, often with fevers.
So would you think this is something else?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:03 pm

No it could still have been c.diff, but if it resolved by itself that's a best case scenario.
If antibiotics are the cause of c.diff the first treatment is to stop the antibiotic if possible.
Very often that's enough to "cure" it!
C.diff along with many other bugs can be overcome by the body's natural immunity.
Many mild cases go undiagnosed and resolve without anyone realising they had it.
Personally if my D had stopped to the extent that I had to take magnesium to help along a normal stool I would be very hesitant to start the medication route.
As always you should get medical advice, but make sure its the best advice possible and not a Dr that just dishes out medication because of test results .
With c.diff, symptoms and test results should be looked at together to make the diagnosis, not just the test!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:38 am

I'm not a doctor or medical professional, but I do know that some people can have your symptoms with Crohn's disease. You should see a good GI and be tested. A couple of posters have had Crohn's be triggered after having had c difficile. It also makes you lose weight and gives cramping.

Return to “Treatments”