Anybody lactose intolerant and taking Vsl#3 probiotic?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Aud
New User

Anybody lactose intolerant and taking Vsl#3 probiotic?

Postby Aud » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 am

My 84 year old mother is lactose intolerant. She can tolerate dairy products up to a point. Vsl#3 probiotic Seems to be highly endorsed and I was wondering if she can tolerate it. Since she's recovering from a stroke and can't talk and limited understanding, the only way I have to judge tolerance is based on her discomfort level so before doing that I thought I'd ask. I see it's available in powder so I could give it thru her feeding tube. Can you take it with lactaid?
Last edited by Aud on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Re: Anybody lastose intolerant and taking Vsl#3 probiotic?

Postby teresajo103 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:03 am

Well, I take Vsl #3 twice A day. You really need to talk with her doctor before you do give it to her because there is some dairy base in it. I don't think the dairy in it is very much.....but I don't have lactose intolerance so I am probably not a good one to judge that part. I am not a doctor or medical in any way...but as someone that takes vsl....they are strong and sometimes I have to back off them for a few days because they cause me to have a bit of tummy discomfort. I think my body may be making some of its own good bacteria and coupled with the vsl I may be getting too much. I would talk to the doctor and if you do decide to use it....go slow. Good luck and let us know how she does.

Aud
New User

Re: Anybody lactose intolerant and taking Vsl#3 probiotic?

Postby Aud » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Just found this on their web site.

"Does VSL#3 contain any allergens such as gluten?
The VSL#3 production process has been amended and as a result, according to EU allergen labelling regulations, VSL#3 is gluten free and does not contain the following:

Crustacean shellfish, molluscs, eggs, fish, peanuts, tree nuts, soybeans, milk and lactose, celery, mustard, sesame, lupin and sulphur dioxide at levels above 10mg/kg, or 10 mg/litre, expressed as SO2
The VSL#3 product packaging and contained patient leaflet are currently being updated to provide information on the allergen free status, and currently, during the transition period, the VSL#3 product packaging and contained patient leaflet continue to have a warning that the product contains traces of gluten, soy, lactose and milk.
If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to get in contact at medical@ferring.com"

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:32 pm

I became lactose intolerant with c diff and I take a very small amount of VSL#3, just part of a capsule. If you are concerned, I gave my husband soy formula BioK+ that the ID recommended for me when I had c diff. It is a liquid that you drink - comes in a little bottle that you refrigerate. He had absolutely no problems with it. You might check into that.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:48 am

I don't think you should give anything through the feeding tube without checking with your Dr first.
Probiotics are live bugs that could grow in the tube and contaminate it.
Good bacteria it only good if its in the right place so please get expert advice.

Return to “Treatments”