Vancomycin headaches?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
newmom87
Brand New Poster

Vancomycin headaches?

Postby newmom87 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:25 am

I am on vancomycin for the second time in a month due to my first relapse. The first time I took 125mg 4x a day and this time vancomycin 250mg 4x a day. Right when I started this second round, 4 days ago,I got a headache and still have it now, much worse right when I stand up (throbbing for like 10 seconds) and low grade when i am sitting or laying down. Anyone else get headaches on vanco?

megan2
Regular Contributor

Re: Vancomycin headaches?

Postby megan2 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:29 pm

You might be dehydrated that can cause headaches

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:37 pm

This is a question for the Dr. We can't know if you are dehydrated or not. If you are having a headache for 4 days you need to contact your Dr. right now. This could be a side effect but it could also be something serious. Dehydration is very serious, so just to say you might be dehydrated isn't helpful. Please contact your Dr. now and see how he wants you to proceed. We want you to have the best care and only your Dr. can diagnose you. Megan, I know you are trying to help but in the rules it is stated we do not give out medical advice or diagnose anything. Please be mindful that a bad answer could put someones life in jeopardy and I know you wouldn't want that to happen. A headache for 4 days is not normal, whether due to dehydration or side effect or whatever. Let us know how you do and what the Dr. says New Mom.
CAROL

megan2
Regular Contributor

Postby megan2 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:14 pm

I had headaches with c diff they were cause by dehydration. I hope that clears up for you what I was trying to say. That is what my headache was from. There is no reason to attack me I was only trying to help. I will stop posting since most of the time the mods do not like what I say. Sorry I offended you

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:31 pm

New mom......you really do need to call the doctor. A headache is sign for many things. I was dehydrated and the headache was absolutely horrible. Vanco did not cause it dehydration caused mine. Once I saw the doctor and he figured out I needed fluids I was fine. The thing is your doctor will have to make that call. Please call your doctor....if it is the meds they will need to adjust it. If it is dehydration.....they can help with that too. I sure hope you feel better soon.

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:32 pm

I agree that it's best to check with your doctor about the possible cause of your headaches. It could be from the vanco, c diff, dehydration or any number of things. I have struggled with headaches and migraines before, during, and after my c diff experience. Mine were caused from hormones and Xanax and probably other factors. Check with your doc and let us know how you're doing. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Michelle

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:51 pm

I will address this on the board as Megan is very upset at my advice. I only wanted to remind her to just check the rules, not being mean at all. As a Mod we have to enforce the rules as there are legal issues we have to consider as well as not doing harm. I'm sorry you considered it an attack, it certainly was not. To just throw out there that it could be dehydration is not something you or anyone on here is qualified to say. We aren't doctors. Should you choose to leave that is your decision but our intention on here is to help. If you would have worded your answer differently it would have been fine but it was worded as a diagnosis and we just can't allow that. I hope we have helped you in your struggle with CDiff and if you feel this board isn't for you than that is your decision. We Mods are sick ourselves but still take the time and effort to reach out and help others as a labor of love. Sorry you feel the way you do but the rules apply to all. NewMom please get yourself checked today, we are all concerned.
CAROL

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:26 am

The headaches could possibly be a side effect from the Vancomycin. It is listed on Drugs.com as a possible side effect. Their advice is to notify your doctor if you have any side effects and that's exactly what you should do, as the others have suggested. It could also be something entirely unrelated to the medication or c-diff and only your doctor can get to the bottom of it. There are lots of things that can cause headaches. When my blood pressure is high, I often get a early morning headache. I get headaches when my sodium level is low and I also had headaches from anemia. Anyway, with something that has lasted four days, it's best not to guess or try to self-diagnosis, but to go in to see the doctor and let them decide if any tests are indicated. Let us know what you find out. I hope you feel better soon and get some relief from the headaches.
Bea

newmom87
Brand New Poster

Postby newmom87 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:06 am

It's not dehydration as I am not having D and I drink about a gallon of water per day because of breastfeeding! Thanks for your concern- I just wanted to know if it is something others had experienced as a side effect. I'm also postpartum and dealing with shifting hormones. Anyhow, the headache is gone now. If it comes back I will be sure to talk to my doctors :)

Return to “Treatments”