My treatment plan from ID dr

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Momof2
New User

My treatment plan from ID dr

Postby Momof2 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:02 am

Hi I wanted to share my visit with an excellent ID dr I was able to get into and see. I am a healthy 36 year old female that got cdiff from taking an antibiotic for mastitis. I have relapsed twice on flagyl and just finished a 10 day dose of vanco on Sunday.

So I met with a very well respected ID dr yesterday. Wow he knew everything about Cdiff! He started out by saying "man this stuff is taking over!!!" Said that 10% of the hospitals has it. It's becoming far too common. Then we discussed my history, health, symptoms, etc. He told me I will more than likely relapse again if I don't continue the Vanco for a longer period of time. He said since I relapsed twice its going to happen again. So my new treatment plan is to take one vanco pill per day for the next 3 months! He said this will keep the cdiff under control and give my body time to heal and build back up the good bacteria.

I am anxious to see if only one pill per day will be enough for me but he reassured me it would. Vanco doesn't absorb in the body so there are no real long term effects of being on one pill per day for an extended period of time. He also said if I wanted to, I could go ahead and start the process of the FMT but to keep taking the one dose per day to keep my symptoms in check. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I am having a colonoscopy today to see if there are any underlying issues.

This has been a long road to recovery but I am hopeful now there is an end in sight.

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Re: My treatment plan from ID dr

Postby sickofthis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:14 pm

Hmm, 1 pill a day that is interesting. I started at 4 a day and tapered down to 1 a day and was doing fine on the one a day but relapsed at the end of the taper. And each taper down hit me hard but adjusted itself after a couple of days.

Return to “Treatments”