Japanese probiotic strain fights Cdiff- C. Butyricum

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
BonSong
Regular Contributor

Japanese probiotic strain fights Cdiff- C. Butyricum

Postby BonSong » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:24 pm

I noticed a lot of people questioning the availability of a certain strain of probiotic that can actually fight c. diff, but is only available in Japan. For those folks, and thru the help of a FB friend I met in the groups, I found the product available on Amazon, and I am wondering if anyone has tried it.

This probiotic, c. butyricum, was cultured in Japan, and passed their laws and such, to fight c. diff in particular. It's quite interesting because it is a clostridium strain, but it's the kind of clostridium species that kills off the clostridium difficile strains/spores. It's also been shown to fight H. pylori and candida albicans yeast. It's only available in Japan, but I think you could order it from Amazon (link provided). I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it, if anyone has tried it, etc. Dr. Borody discusses it-- or so I have read-- anyone have any links to his comments on it? I am kind of scared of anything that is foreign, I would wonder about it being legit, but I've heard that the Japanese are more advanced than we are with infectious disease; it's not uncommon to see them walking around in the cities with face masks on for hygiene purposes. And if it's on amazon, I would think people could order it in other countries. That is, if it's authentic on there. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/90-Tablets-Streng ... MNAHN71W49 <-- this place on amazon is selling it, but I have no idea if it's a fake, or what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_butyricum <-- Wiki page on the bacteria itself

http://www.miyarisan.com/english_index.htm <-- from the manufacturer in English

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10882089 <-- study showing properties against H. pylori

http://www.cdiffdiscuss.org/PHPBB3/view ... f=5&t=4085 <-- discussions here inquiring about it
http://www.cdiffdiscuss.org/PHPBB3/view ... ?f=6&t=197 <-- discussions here inquiring about it

roy
Administrator

Re: Japanese probiotic strain fights Cdiff- C. Butyricum

Postby roy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:37 pm

From memory it has been discussed before
I think the conclusion was that it's not FDA approved and there's a risk it will be confiscated at customs.
Trade name is MIYA-BM
I read also that it's used in Japan as a preventative and given to anyone at risk BEFORE they go into hospital.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Yes, this is the probiotic Dr. Borody mentioned in his article on the site. (Second forum)

Yes, someone posted several months ago they got it at Amazon. Try and see. Let us know.

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Bobbie......it did let me order it thru amazon......and now it's just wait and see if it gets shipped.

Planet
New User

Postby Planet » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:00 pm

I know this is an old post, but I though I add my findings here.

I found a Canadian probiotic that contains c. butyricum strain in it. This is how it looks:

http://www.aor.ca/products-page/baccilu ... obiotic-3/

I have ordered it through Amazon, and currently am waiting for it to come.

Can be ordered here (I am in Canada, so I am not sure if they ship to US?):
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Orthomol ... robiotic+3

I have also called local organic stores and several of them were willing to order it for me, so if you are having no luck with amazon try calling around.

Will update once I get the probiotics!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:10 am

This probiotic is also mentioned in Dr. Borody's articles - 2nd forum. Several have ordered it from Amazon.

Planet
New User

Postby Planet » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Update: I have received both probiotics, one from Japan (took about 10 days ) and the other one from AOR that I ordered through amazon (took about 12 days to come).
I have not started taking it yet, still debating if I should start now or wait and see if my GI symptoms would improve on their own.

Anyone on here taking these probiotics? Any updates?

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:30 pm

I ordered and received the AOR. I gradually increased the dose from one pill a day to the recommended three times a day. I haven't noticed any ill effects or improvement, but have only been taking it for about 10 days and yesterday was my first time at three times a day. I'll update after I've been on it a bit longer. Let us know how you do.
Michelle

Daisymom
New User

Postby Daisymom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:30 pm

Any word on this as I am really quite curious?

Daisymom
New User

Postby Daisymom » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 pm

I ordered the AOR product PROBIOTIC 3 and have been taking it 3 times a day between meals as recommended. It is only four days later and I feel pretty darn wonderful! My BMs are practically normal. I am also taking 1gram of S. Boulardii, and a critical care multi-strain probiotic twice a day. Lastly, I am still on Vancomycin twice a day.

I truly feel like I had a complete turn around once I started the AOR product. The previous day my BMs were water due to an unfortunate attempt to enjoy some frozen yogurt. Now I am back to eating salads and that's just awesome for this vegetarian.

FYI...I did email the Japanese company and their supplement only had the C. Butyricum strain. Seems that the AOR product has three strains that work well together to not only kill the c diff but also to promote healthy gut bacteria.

I will provide periodic updates in the hope that it is beneficial to others.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Glad this is working for you. Keep us posted.

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Any more updates on how this pro biotic is working?

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:00 pm

I said something similar in another post, but wanted to copy it here, too.

I have been taking AOR daily for about 7 months, along with RAW, VSL#3, and kefir for about a year. I have not relapsed since I started taking AOR, not sure if it's just coincidence or if it helped, but I am going to continue taking it just in case.

I started off slowly with one a day and gradually increased it to three times a day. I stayed on three times a day for a few months and have gradually decreased back down to once a day. I haven't noticed any ill effects, I'm only decreasing because I've been c diff free for a while now and the cost of all the probiotics add up quickly, so I'm gradually cutting back on all of them and will likely stick with one of each once a day for a long while.
Michelle

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was intrigued but a bit freaked out when I read that it was a spore forming gram positive bacteria.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:32 am

Your correct, its an other clostridium species.
Theres loads of them including botulism and tetanus.
Thers loads of harmless ones as well.
Its thought that clostridium butyricum likes to occupy the same niche as difficile and stops it multiplying or it provided some immunity because of its close relationship to difficile
Much as in cow pox and small pox.
I believe that Japanese hospitals were at one time giving it to their patients as a preventative with some documented success.
I dont know how big the study was though or if they still use it.

Return to “Treatments”