Anxious, what next?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Re: Anxious, what next?

Postby Jackie25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi Mr. Roy- I've read so many of your posts, thank you for adding to so many. I knew the Chinese wasn't such a great idea but I had made so much progress I figured I would try. Won't be doing that again. Thanks for the advice regarding the medicine, I did already take one vancomycin pill after I picked them up since my diarrhea was watery this morning and I have been experiencing what feels like I need to use the bathroom but is indeed just gas, however I have to sit on the toilet because a little bit of mucus tends to come out with it sometimes? I'm not sure if this is normal or just showing that I still have some inflammation. I haven't had diarrhea since I took the medicine, mind you I haven't eaten a whole lot today since I was in the ER over half the day. I guess we will see what tomorrow brings, I'm praying it will be a good day.

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:29 pm

I agree and would wait and see what happens. Stools can be all over the place after the Vanco. It can be rough on your system. If you develop watery D many times per day I would start the Vanco. Chinese food can irritate those with normal GI systems so it may be just that.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks for the reply pink angel! I've read that it can take quit some time for everything to get back to "normal" especially after vanco since it does a number on your insides. My doctor advised me to go ahead and start the vanco taper since I was feeling very sick :/ I've taken a few of them already and have noticed an improvement since yesterday. I'm hoping the taper will knock out more of this c diff!

I'm still producing a bit of mucus when I use the bathroom but I'm trying not to get discouraged about that, I've read some have it for quit a while. But also, my stool is becoming more "formed" and in a shape again, however it's soft and somewhat thin. I'm assuming this is okay for now as well, hopefully the medicine is working and it's just part of trying to heal and recover.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Sometimes it is the MSG in Chinese food. Try asking for it without MSG. Don't beat yourself up about it. It might not have been the food - maybe just a "bad day."

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Oh my goodness. Well that turned me off of Chinese food probably for the rest of my life! I had never heard of this before, thank you for sharing! I will stick to bland foods for a long time I'm thinking, especially during the vanco and for a duration of time afterwards. Hopefully this taper will be beneficial, I've read numerous posts from others who did well on it. I hope I'm one of them! I have noticed that, even though at times it is difficult, maintaining a positive attitude and outlook really does help me to feel better about the situation. Even though I may not be where I was before this infection, I have made progress since first being diagnosed. No profuse watery diarrhea multiple times a day, no stomach pain, no blood...etc. I feel very fortunate for the other inputs and posts from everyone here, it truly does give me hope and makes me realize I am not alone in this and will eventually be better! It may be rough at times but there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel, I hope!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Your taper is almost exactly what was prescribed for me by my GI group. I can't tell you for sure if it would have worked for me, though, because I had to keep starting over due to recurrent UTI's that necessitated other antibiotics. Every time I had to take another antibiotic, they had me to start over on the taper. If I hadn't had the UTI's though, I probably would have been okay with that taper.
Bea

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Thank you for responding! I've read a lot about people developing other infections and Illnesses while being treated for c diff, I can't imagine. It must take a strong person to be able to handle all of that. I wasn't sure if the taper I was given was correct but after doing some research here and various articles I found online I see it is a common taper/pulse. I feel hopeful about it and am trying to be positive and stay as healthy as I can while treating this thing! I know only time will tell.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 pm

I have a follow up appointment today (just my regular doctor) to get the results from the blood work and stool sample that was taken during my ER visit a couple days ago. I was wondering though if anyone has taken Metamucil or something of the sort to try and bulk up the stool while being treated for c diff? I am on the first week of my taper right now, I noticed since starting the medication back up 1.5 days ago I am having rather mushy stools in the morning once or twice and then if I go more during the day it is very little, formed small pieces but soft. I just wanted to know if the Metamucil is safe to do? Will it be beneficial to me? I will ask my doctor today at my visit but I feel that maybe everyone on this page may know more about this than he will unfortunately :/ he knows a little about c diff and as I am on an army base I am currently waiting to hear about seeing a GI from now on since they know more about this sort of thing! Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thank yall so much!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:00 pm

I used Citrucel after I finished my Vanco for c-diff because I was having pencil thin stools and the doctor suggested it would bulk them up some. Others onsite have used Metamucil and Benefiber with good results. You just have to find which one agrees with you. I would ask the doctor about taking it while you are still on medication for c-diff, though. I don't know if it would affect the absorption of the medication in any way. You could also check with your pharmacist. Let us know how your appointment goes.
Bea

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Thank you so much for the advice! Just left my appointment, stool sample for c diff came back negative, white blood cell count was down to 6500. Doctor wants me to continue on with the taper of vanco I was given in the ER to knock out any remaining spores still contained in the gut, being that I had some symptoms Wednesday that weren't so good. I mentioned to him that in the morning I am still experiencing quite mushy stool but then not having any issues the rest of the day. he said my gut has taken a pounding and will take quite some time to recover back to where I was before being infected. I was glad to hear him say that because I've read from a lot of people here that that is very much true. I did go ahead and set up an appt to see a GI this coming Monday just as a precautionary and being that they know much more regarding this type of thing than my regular MD. I mentioned this forum to him and he was very impressed at all the knowledge you all have. I can't express how blessed I feel to have come across you guys and for all the support and advice!

I'm feeling positive right now, hopefully i will be able to knock this bug out sooner rather than later!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Glad you had a good appointment and great news that your white count is down. I think it's a good plan to have a GI on board just in case, although, with any luck, you really won't need them. Tapers have worked for many of us and I pray it will for you as well. This forum has helped me tremendously over the last two years. Glad to hear it is helping you also and glad things are looking up.
Bea

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Thank you for the prayer! I have been praying for everyone on this site fighting off this bug!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 pm

You're very welcome. That's pretty much what we do, Jackie: wait, watch and worry....and pray!
Bea

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Just wanted to give an update- I had my first GI appointment today. Per my doctor and the head GI at my hospital, they said since I am only having soft stool a few times in the AM and showing no other symptoms and given my WBC count was down I seem to be doing pretty good on this vanco taper. They would like me to finish up the 5 weeks of vanco that I have and they also prescribed me quite a few extra strength VSL-3 packets that I am to take twice a day. They feel that I will most likely do very well on this taper and will hopefully rid me of the c diff. I was advised that I would not be "normal" in regards to stool for at least 6 months to a year and would more than likely have PI IBS as many do. If for some reason this taper doesn't work I was told I could skip the next line of meds and go straight for the FMT with my husband as my donor. With any luck I won't have to go that route BUT if need be I am more than willing! Here's praying this will do the trick, I've been keeping everyone in my prayers! We will all get better soon!!!

Return to “Treatments”