Probiotic after Treatment Question

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
DaniDahlia
Regular User

Probiotic after Treatment Question

Postby DaniDahlia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi Friends,

Okay, so I finished Vanco 48 hours ago. I am now wanting to go strong with the Probiotics and supportive treatments. On my bottle of 80 Billion Probiotic pills, it says to take once a day.

Should I ignore that and take it more than once a day?

Any other supportive treatments I could consider? I want to go strong and build up my gut ASAP before the nasty bugs even THINK about re-populating.

Smiles,
Danielle
p.s. Please don't be upset that I'm asking a question before looking it up, as I've looked it up repeatedly and this is what I'm getting: "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: probiotics."

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Re: Probiotic after Treatment Question

Postby teresajo103 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:34 am

Don't get too crazy with the probiotics at one time. I overloaded the first time and had horrible stomach cramps. Start slow and you will be better off. I took vsl#3 twice daily and culturelle once at bedtime. I am taking vsl again but haven't started the culturelle I will when I finish the vanc. You do have to just try it and see what happens. I sure hope you do good.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:12 am

You have to find your right balance, but what has worked for me as of late is the following:

1 - VSL 3 in the morning
1 - Florastor in the evening
1-2 yogurts per day
1-2 cups of Kefir per day

I have also been eating about 90% gluten free for the past 3
weeks as a recommendation by my GP. I am not celiac, but my GP dr is a functional medicine doctor who believes that removing the gluten can help to restore digestive health and boost your immune system, which I really needed. I was desperate to try anything, so I gave it a whirl. I have to say, after almost 9 weeks post Vanco treatment, I am just starting to see improvement in my BM's, as well as, my Post infectious IBS or collitis issues. I also feel like my energy level is increasing somewhat. Since adding Florastor and going mostly Gluten Free, I am just starting to see improvement. I don't feel like this is a coincidence.

Just to add, I am not sure about everybody else, but I have been catching cold after cold. Having C-diff twice in a 3 month span, really brought my immune system down. I have felt like I have a constant flu or mono or something. That is why I am trying to boost up my immune system as well. My dr also told me about a few natural supplements to take. I also have a Vitamin D deficiency post c-diff, which I'm taking 2000 i.u.of D3 daily. I think it's important to get a complete blood workup to see if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals because c-diff can cause that as well.

This has been my post Vanco plan. But it's definitely been a slow recovery process for me. I'm trying to be patient with the process and do whatever I can to help boost my immunity and digestive health. I am not really into reading self help books and things like that, but my GP suggested that I read this book called "The Immune System Recovery Plan" by Dr. Susan Blum. I actually am finding it helpful and informative. It is relative to me as well because it talks a lot about autoimmune disease being connected to how you eat, and I do have Graves' disease. I thought I would share in case you are interested in the book. It talks a lot about digestive health and what you should eat and what to avoid in order to promote digestive health and boost immunity.

Good luck and prayers for a speedy recovery,
Lisa

DaniDahlia
Regular User

Postby DaniDahlia » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Thank you so much, Lisa! Great information.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the feeling of mono/cold! I have told that to my husband, too, that I just feel like I have one long cold that feels almost like mono (I had mono in college). Mainly a sore throat and achy and beyond tired every day.

I think I will go get a blood test, too. Couldn't hurt to see if i have a deficiency.

So far, I am doing this every day:
1. Good belly 50+ shot with multivitamin
2. Cup of Barley and cup of Barley water
3. Probiotic pill that has 80 Billion/15 strains (total colon health formula)

I am 4 days out of treatment after my first relapse. I am feeling great. I did not feel nearly this well on Vanco or during the last recovery time. Have an enormous amount of anxiety all day though. I was in so much pain and I was unable to eat for so long, so this feels like quite a dramatic change.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:27 pm

It sounds like you have a good recovery plan, Danielle. I think it's an individual thing and you just have to find the right balance of probiotics and diet. And, you are not alone with the anxiety. I've always struggled with anxiety, but c-diff has brought out a whole other level of panic and worry. With most infections, you take treatment and then you get better. But with this one, you are left with so many weird abnormal symptoms, that you are constantly guessing if it's back or not, or is something else wrong with me. And on top of it, it is contagious, so you worry about cleaning and killing the spores. And then we worry if we get sick and need an antibiotic, which has turned me into a germaphobe. The worry never ends. But we have to take a step back and just focus on the present. We are in recovery and we are feeling better today. I think the anxiety is normal for just being through this horrific ordeal. I'm sure with time, the anxiety will ease up. After 9 wks post Vanco, I'm realizing that my being a germaphobe, even with all my hand washing, hasn't prevented me from catching 2 colds in a row. My 3 yr old comes home from daycare and coughs and sneezes in my face constantly. These kids are walking germs! Lol! There's nothing I can do, but try to boost up my immune system and pray for the best!

Good luck to you and feel good.
Lisa

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:33 am

See CDI - Probiotics. There is also some info in Treatments. Also see newest post in Success Stories. Be sure and space probiotics as far part from c diff meds as possible.

Return to “Treatments”