Floragen 3

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
angelmom
Contributor

Floragen 3

Postby angelmom » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:27 pm

I just called my local Walgreens trying to figure out how i can go about re-establishing good intestinal flora without going broke.....everything is otc and going to cost $$$$ to do the recommended doses. They suggested I call a local phamacy that is small and is actually one of the few pharmacies that does compounding in a city of over 100K people. I have heard many good things about this pharmacist. He highly recommended a product that he said is very reasonably priced in comparison to many of the products and has excellent flora counts. He said it was called Floragen 3. He said a man who had suffered with c diff for quite a long time started taking it and doing enemas with it and got rid of c diff in 2 months. I am going out there tomorrow and going to try it along with another product he recommended.

angelmom
Contributor

Postby angelmom » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:38 pm

I called the pharmacist and he said to go ahead and provide his info. He is very knowledgeable. The Floragen 3 is $18.95 for 60 tablets. (Half what I paid for Culturelle). He says these are top notch. He also recommended a powder called FOS (short for some long name) that you mix right in the water when you drink the Floragen to "feed" the new good bacteria (if you can afford that also). It is $13. He said he would explain the enema process if someone wants the info. I don't know what it would cost to mail it, but the tablets would not be much I am sure. His pharmacy is: Preckshot Professional Pharmacy (in Proctor Hospital) 6401 N Knoxville Ave, Peoria, IL 61604 ph # 309-693-3880. He is one of the few compounding pharmacies in this area and I think the only pharmacy in this area that does the testing to tell what nutritional values you have in your body for the Bio-identical hormones. He's pretty sharp from everything I have heard.
Hope this helps somebody out there. I can't believe the money i have spend on health stuff and being sick is no fun.

angelmom
Contributor

Postby angelmom » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:52 pm

This is an excerpt from an article I found on line regarding Floragen 3 and Fos powder. I believe it was a radio program. It also provides another option for purchasing.
Linda

Larry Frieders: You're right again, JOEL - I do not recommend that anyone use sugar. There are many issues with sugar in our diet - again a topic for another radio show. But this FOS sugar is unique. It is not absorbed from our stomach into OUR bodies. It does not stimulate insulin - and it really isn't very sweet. But, one of the good bacteria - the bifido bacteria - thrive in the presence of FOS. They need it and use it, but it doesn't enter our system at all. This FOS is often referred to as a prebiotic - something that helps the good bacteria. In summary, we ought to take a prebiotic - FOS - to support or probiotics - Floragen 3. Our good bacteria work at an optimal level.

Joel Frieders (Radio Host): Let's presume that I want to do what you're suggesting. How do I get these items and how much is it going to cost?

Larry Frieders: I mentioned that the Floragen 3 is $20.00 for a 2-month supply. The FOS is available as a powder - from us. A 100Gm jar sells for $36.00 and provides about 200 doses - you need to use a small spoon to dose it. Mix the powder with water or sprinkle it on some food. If you would like something a little more convenient we make a capsule that contains 500mg of FOS. A 2-month supply of FOS capsules costs $12.00. I personally prefer the capsules - they're just so convenient.

...the difference between merely living,
and living well

Copyright © The Compounder Pharmacy
Web design by: Millennium Multimedia

The Compounder Pharmacy
575 W. Illinois Ave.
Aurora, IL 60506-2956

info@theCompounder.com
Phone (630) 859-0333

Fax (630) 859-0114

angelmom
Contributor

Postby angelmom » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:30 pm

I picked up the florajen. The pharmacist had it in a refrigerator. The powder is a smaller jar and could easily be mailed.
Linda

pam2738
Regular Contributor

Postby pam2738 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:18 pm

The man who developed Floragen is in my area & I talked to him this moring. He is a bacteriologist. He recommended Floragen 3 at a dosage of 3 x daily. So I went into Madison (WI) to a "alternative" pharmacy & picked it up. The owner there told me to take a "loading dose" of 12 capsules on the first day, followed by 8 on the second day, & then 2 per day thereafter!!!!!!!!! Has anyone heard of starting on such a huge dose?

I've tried calling back the Floragen man but have had to leave a message.

I also got some BioK from Whole Foods - a pak of the flavored & a pak of the dairy free. And don't know how to combine that with the Floragen 3. Any i deas?

I am just starting my second week of Flagy. Am at about 2-3 BMs a day altho yesterday was just 1.

Pam

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:35 pm

Pam- This is the best advice anyone can give you.........start ONE probiotic at a time. I KNOW as I have had cdiff for 5 years and trust me probiotics can cause problems in your system and if you take more than one at a time you will not know WHICH is the culprit. Start slowly and I would not overload on any of them personally.
Cindy

angelmom
Contributor

FLORAGEN

Postby angelmom » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:07 pm

Yea, I finally got back in here! After a nasty bout of staph and then c diff, probably from the IV antibiotics, I did kick c diff! I used Floragen. I did not take a megadose, but I did use kefir and ate yogurt and was STRICT not to have ANY dairy or sugar.
I also completely cleaned out my colon twice (the first time did not take effect until it was to late for the colonoscopy) for a colonoscopy. And, fearing having c diff forever, I asked my GI doc how safe it was to help my colon "good bacteria" by doing an enema with some Floragen. (immediately after the colonoscopy while my colon was empty.) His comment was, "The only thing I can think of that would be better is to stand on your head." I was reluctant- it's all pretty discusting......but I got rid of c diff. That has been 6 months ago and I have not had any problems since despite being on minocycline. As a matter of fact, after I stabilized a little, I now have more regular (after every meal) and I guess "normal" BM's. They are still "snakes" (I know many of you know that term.......only on a c diff page.....), but, for me, having a rare disease that causes major GI problems, this is good.
So, I would definitely give Floragen a thumbs up and try cleaning out and enema.
Angelmom

Mauler
New User

Re: Floragen 3

Postby Mauler » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Angel mom,

Wait what? How do you do that with floragen?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Floragen 3

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Mauler,
You answered a post from 2006. Poster inactive.

Return to “Treatments”