Dificid and Probiotic

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Dificid and Probiotic

Postby NanciT » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Just wondering if anyone took probiotics while on Dificid? I am on a taper and have read here that some take them while being treated but spread them out. Would appreciate any thoughts.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dificid and Probiotic

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:56 am

Both my GI and ID were in favor of taking probiotics when I was treating for c diff. I did not take Dificid, but vanco. I don't think it matters which antibiotic. The Dificid will likely kill much of the probiotic unless you take Florastor, which is a yeast, but that one did not agree with me. So, if you take one that has bacterial strains, take it in between doses. If I remember right, you take Dificid twice a day, so you could take the probiotics mid day. I take some to this day, although just a small amount and I take it not long before bed with a snack and chamomile tea. So, if you wanted to take it twice a day, you could take it the second time some hours after your evening dose of Dificid.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:12 am

I took Dificid along with probiotics and Florastor. My GI wants me to stay on probiotics for life and I still take them after 3 yrs. They don't bother me so I can stay on them. I only take one a day now.
CAROL

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:42 am

Thank you both so much for the reply. I am starting a taper dose of 1 dificid /day so I plan to take that in the am and vsl3 in late afternoon. Things tend to work better on the VSL3 especially because I find Dificid difficult to take after my previous experience went so well.

Hoping and praying it works...........

Thanks again

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:00 pm

I never took Dificid, but took Flagyl and Vanco. My GI wanted me on VSL-3 while I was on them and I also continue to take probiotics post c-diff because they help with my IBS and I think they also help to ward off my recurrent UTI's. My GI also recommended s. boulardii.
Bea

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks so much for the response, I feel so much better on the VSL3!

Return to “Treatments”