Done with Vanco, still have D

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Rane
Contributor

Done with Vanco, still have D

Postby Rane » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:53 pm

So yeah, I finished the Vanco yesterday and I had really bad D and cramps this morning. The color looks good though, not that hideous yellow and it didn't stink. The Dr wants me back in 6 weeks to test for C diff. I also asked if she could test me for H Pylori just in case. I'm taking some very good probiotics three times a day as per package instructions. I know some people get D from probiotics but I'm okay with that.

Also, how long does PI-IBS last for? And when can I go back to drinking/eating dairy and bread? I don't think C Diff gave me celiac disease because I can eat cross-contaminated oatmeal just fine, but if I eat anything with wholegrain...Boy, that hurts.

EDIT.
Okay, it appears the ugly color is coming back! It's Saturday and the office is closed so I'll have to wait until Monday to speak with the Dr. I'm kinda scared, I know that some people relapse immediately. I don't want to have to take antibiotics for the rest of my life.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Done with Vanco, still have D

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:54 pm

Rane, don't panic. You might have IBS - l out of 5 get it after a bout of C. diff. See CDI - IBS and CDI - The Three Day Rule. The symptoms of IBS and C. diff. are similar.

You GI tract is too irritated to eat fiber right now so no whole grains for awhile.

No one can tell you when your system will be return to normal. In some, it's quickly but not for others. In any case, you will NOT have to take antibiotics for the rest of your life.

If this continues, call your doc. and ask to be retested on Monday. If you become much worse, call the doc. this weekend. Most have a doc. on call. If not, go to the ER.

Let us know what happens.

Rane
Contributor

Postby Rane » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:13 pm

I'll call on Mon and ask. Man, I just want to be done with this.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:54 am

Amen to that. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Rane
Contributor

Postby Rane » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Okay, they said they won't test me until 6 weeks have passed. I did find out that you cannot detect some things, such as giardia, until 21 days have passed, so maybe it's for the best. They were a bit concerned about the bloating and D said I should probably see my GP for an x-ray in case I have impacted stool. I don't know, sometimes the stool comes out okay but other times it's D. I think I'll hold off on that unless it gets worse.

I'll see how I'm doing tomorrow, but I have been getting bouts of what seems to be acid back up in my throat. I suspect there's another infection going on in there.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Probiotics can cause bloating too. I would try and see a GI earlier than the 6 weeks. If it is another infection, you want it treated sooner rather than later. No point in creating an environment with unfavorable bacteria that can make it easier for c diff to resurface.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Many of us have developed acid reflux/GERD after a bout of C. diff. If this keeps up, contact your doc. Major test is an endoscopy. No prep for it. PPI's (one treatment) linked to C. diff. altho I was on a PPI for years and altho susceptible to C. diff. did not develop it while on a PPI. Doc. neglected to tell me to stop use of it - another "whoops" in the medical field. I have a hiatal hernia - which can cause/contribute to acid reflux.

I take the generic form of Zantac for it. See CDI - Acid Reflux for other suggestions. Acid reflux can be caused/aggravated by stress. Contact your doc. about it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:34 am

You Drs got this slightly wrong
Not testing within 6 weeks is probably their interpretation of the guidelines and is correct.
This does NOT mean no treatment though!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A test is not given close to the first one because it can result in a false positive.
Drs are supposed to diagnose c.diff AND TREAT on symptoms alone during this period.
If you have frequent watery D for more than a couple of days the Dr should assume you have relapsed.
Anything other than the above including vague feelings of being unwell can be a part normal recovery

Rane
Contributor

Postby Rane » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm certain I'm having a relapse. All the symptoms are coming back, dizziness, anxiety, ugly stool and smell...I just want the FMT now.

Return to “Treatments”