On Flagyl then Vanco, Stevens-Johnson syndrome?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Rane
Contributor

On Flagyl then Vanco, Stevens-Johnson syndrome?

Postby Rane » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:57 am

So I took 4 pills of Flagyl before I started to get vibrations in my lower, um, lady parts and legs/feet. My GI doc switched me to Vanco but I am still getting these weird feelings along with suspicious small reddish dots in my mouth and tinnitus. I contacted her and she said to watch the dots (which she thinks wasn't caused by the meds) and the nurse said that the neuropathy should go away after I finish treatment.

I don't know, I've heard of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and know that most of the time you get a fever, peeling skin, itchy eyes (only one eye is, and this was happening before I took any antibiotics) and white patches, not reddish ones, in your mouth. I don't feel like I can trust this doc. She even said she had never heard of anyone getting neuropathy from Flagyl!

Did any of you get small reddish spots in your mouth from Flagyl or Vanco? I'm ready to bolt to the emergency room. Seeing what Stevens-Johnson syndrome can do to you is terrifying.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: On Flagyl then Vanco, Stevens-Johnson syndrome?

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:06 am

If in doubt, call doc. If no answer from answering service, go to ER. I've heard of Stevens-Johnson syndrome but know little about it. Trust your gut feeling.

Beth has had red spots but not in her mouth. White patches can be a yeast infection. Let us know what happens.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: On Flagyl then Vanco, Stevens-Johnson syndrome?

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:49 am

I have capillary bleeding called petechiae. It is possible that it started from antibiotics that I took a couple of months ago when I had whooping cough, or from Pepto Bismol that I was on for a long time, but the doctor is not sure. I stopped all meds and they are still there.

My mom got neuropathy from Flagyl as well as thrush, with white patches in her mouth. I don't know much about the syndrome either, but you can certainly get an allergic reaction to any medication. If the spots get worse, I would see a doctor. Sometimes yeast can present as red spots too I have heard. Best to have it checked.

Return to “Treatments”