Flagyl-side effects?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
RNBSNCDIFF
New User

Flagyl-side effects?

Postby RNBSNCDIFF » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:38 am

This is my second round of Flagyl 3 times a day for 2 weeks and Im on day #8. Ive been having some pretty moderate joint pain. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you do to relieve the pain?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flagyl-side effects?

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:45 am

I'm pretty sure this is a known side effect of Flagyl. You should call your Dr. and see if he can get you on liquid Vanco, its so much easier on the system. Usually if Flagyl doesn't do it a Dr. will give you Vanco. Don't ignore this side effect as some have had lasting joint issues from it. Call today and see if you should change. Let us know what the Dr. says. Hope you are feeling better.
CAROL

RNBSNCDIFF
New User

Postby RNBSNCDIFF » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Carol I just read your reply and now I am scared. I am still having joint issues. I sent my Dr. a message on Friday and didn't hear back. I will call her tomorrow first thing in the morning. I have a prescription for Vanco already but I really didnt want to have to start it unless I absolutely had to. Im on day 10 and am almost done with the Flagyl and my symptoms have pretty much disappeared. Do you think its possible to just cut my course of Flagyl short to 10 days instead of 14? Do you know if anyone has done a 10 day dose and had success? Thank you for your feedback.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:55 pm

The side effect is called Reactive Arthritis I believe. We have had a few posters who had this and most of them reported the joint pain went away after they stopped the Flagyl. I think one woman had trouble where it didn't go away. Put arthritis in the search box and maybe you can find her posts. I don't want to scare you but you should be aware of the problems with Flagyl. If you seem to be getting worse pain in your joints I would call the Dr. back and tell her, she might then tell you to stop. 10 days might be enough, you could ask but most Drs. give the full 14 day course. Only you know how severe this joint pain is and if its bad I wouldn't ignore it. You could also ask your pharmacist what they think. Let us know how you do and try not to worry, I'm sure you will be fine once the Flagyl is out of your system. Its just a hard drug to take.
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:41 am

Reactive arthritis is usually from the infection itself, not the antibiotics to treat it. What Flagyl can give is peripheral neuropathy. My mom got that from Flagyl, but she still took it. I would definitely check with the doctor. People who have been on vanco got reactive arthritis as well. It happens with infections such as c diff sometimes. Like Carol said, best to check with the doctor.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20020872

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:30 am

Glad Beth cleared that up for you. Either way you do need to check with Dr. Hope you are still doing well and can just stop the Flagyl. Let us know how you do and what the Dr. says.
CAROL

RNBSNCDIFF
New User

Postby RNBSNCDIFF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:54 pm

I have since stopped taking the Flagyl and my joints are getting better. I have not had any recurring CD symptoms either. If you run across anyone else who develops this issue tell them to stop the Flagyl immediately. I am 100% sure Flagyl caused my issues and that it wasn't the CD. Its so sad that sometimes whats meant to help us can end up harming us worse in the end which sadly is why so many of us got CD to start with.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 pm

You probably got the neuropathy like my mom did from the Flagyl. I would put it down as one of the meds that you can't take. Even if it is not considered an allergic reaction, the symptoms are not good and you don't want to risk getting worse symptoms the next time.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Flagyl is a quite an important antibiotic.
A life saver in some situations. (very many situations)
Don't rule it out for future infections just because it might have caused temporary joint pain.
The speed that its resolved probably means its not flagyl that caused it.
I had joint pain from statins and it took 3 months to get even slightly better so I would assume other drugs would take a lot longer than a day or two to get out of your system and for the pain to resolve.

Return to “Treatments”