Biopsy for c diff

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Midnight
New User

Biopsy for c diff

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 am

Hi everyone,

I was here before detailing a previous experience I had with flagyl in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12727

I had a colonoscopy done today. They found inflammation on one side of my colon but not all of it. My GI doc doesn't think it is an infection because he says it would affect my entire colon. So he said I have ulcerative colitis, but he took biopsies of the ulcers to make sure.

My question is this: is it possible to have a c diff infection without the characteristics pseudomembranes present? A few places i've read on the internet talk about how c diff can progress from c diff colitis to c diff pseudomembranous colitis. In other words, some places have made a distinction between c diff infecting the colon and causing colitis and c diff actually causing pseudomembranes within the colon. I didn't see these sites go into much more detail other than that, but is that true? Is it possible to have a c diff infection without the GI doc seeing pseudomembranes? I got off flagyl 3-4 weeks ago, and have been mostly symptom free after months of constant blood in my stool. I say mostly because there have been some instances of slight bleeding, but it has mostly been incredibly minor.

Apparently flagyl can be used in treatment of ulcerative colitis, but I have a hard time believing that a two week course of flagyl could work THIS well if I really had ulcerative colitis.

So, a few questions:

Can a biopsy reveal a c diff infection? Even if no pseudomembranes are present? Does c diff occur without pseudomembranes present?

Is it also true that after a bout of c diff, it can take a while for the bowels to heal? Is it possible that there is residual inflammation and thus some minor residual bleeding because my bowels are healing from being infected with c diff and not treating it for months?
Last edited by Bobbie on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updating

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: Biopsy for c diff

Postby seekingcure » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:39 am

You are asking some questions that are better directed to your GI. I realize you were probably sort of "out of it" after waking up from the colonoscopy and therefore didn't get to ask everything that is occurring to you now; so, even though I am no expert, I will try to answer a couple of your questions. Number one, yes, it is possible to have a relatively mild case of c-diff without having pseudomembranes show up on colonoscopy. I have no idea if a biopsy can reveal a c-diff infection.

Yes, it is true that it can take six months to a year or longer for the bowels to heal after a bout of c-diff. For some on here, symptoms have persisted even longer. From your previous posts, I believe you never actually tested positive for c-diff, so it's possible you didn't have it at all. However, you did take Clindamycin which is one of the worst offenders for causing c-diff and you were already on Flagyl when they tested you on a couple of occasions, which could give you a false negative result.

At this point, I think you are just going to have to wait to hear the results of your biopsies from the doctor and see how things go from here. If the diarrhea returns, ask to have a PCR or LAMP test before you start back on any antibiotic. Those are the most reliable tests for c-diff. In the meantime, something seems to have improved your symptoms, so that is at least a bright spot in all the uncertainty. Keep us updated on what you find out from the GI.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 pm

I know of one person who had UC after getting c difficile. They did a colonoscopy on him with biopsies and told him that he did not have c diff, but did have UC. I don't know how they came up with the diagnosis. You should write down all these questions and ask your doctor when you talk to him about the results of the biopsies.

Midnight
New User

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks for the help. I know to direct these questions at my GI doc, and my other GI doc for when I get a second opinion.

During my course of flagyl, I went to Las Vegas on a trip for 4 days, but didn't eat very much. Mostly lived on liquids and had some solid food here and there. Had no appetite from flagyl. My bowel movements in Vegas were completely clear, no blood, no urgency, or anything. Before this trip, my BMs were getting better, but it was dramatic improvement on my trip. When I came back and started eating solid foods again, after a day, I started having blood in my stools. Is it possible that the liquid diet sort of gave my bowels a rest and then it was irritated when I came back from my trip because of the solid foods?

The blood reappeared toward the end of my course, and then maybe 2 days after the course ended, my bowel movements became totally fine again. Random small bouts of blood here and there, but that could've been hemorrhoids.

Is it possible to have some minor inflammation left for a while after a bout of c diff? Maybe tiny tiny bits of blood on the stool? Would this happen if the bowels were healing?

Thank you for taking the time to reply, guys, it is really appreciated.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:20 am

It is entirely possible for some food to irritate the colon. The liquid diet probably did give your colon a rest. The B could be hemorrhoids . My GI also stated you can have a colonoscopy show no cdiff one day and the next day you can have cdiff so I guess unless you have visible evidence of it, the Dr. really can't tell one way or the other in some cases. I was on Vanco when I had mine so naturally he didn't see any signs of Cdiff. I can't really comment of the UC, don't know much about it but hopefully you can discuss this with the Dr. It is also true it can take months and even yrs. for the colon to heal and if you throw in Hemorrhoids or UC I guess you could continue to see B. I hope you get your questions answered and get some peace of mind about all this. Its all very scary but you have the colonscopy behind you and that usually tells the Dr. if anything awful is going on so I wouldn't worry so much. HOpefully the UC won't be too bad and can be controlled with meds. Let us know how you do.
CAROL

Midnight
New User

Postby Midnight » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks getwellsoon. I really appreciate the help.

At this point, I guess I just have to wait for the biopsies and just take all the questions I have to doctors. I'm really hoping this is just a strange case of c diff, but we'll see. If anyone else still wants to chime in on my questions in this thread, feel free to! I would appreciate it!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 pm

I had B during and after cdiff. After cdiff it was apparently due to an anal fissure. I found some suppositories online that helped it finally heal.

Midnight
New User

Postby Midnight » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Most of my bleeding from post-flagyl treatment seemed very minor and I know I had some hemorrhoids. I think it finally healed when I stopped sitting on the toilet playing with my phone so much.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 am

Dump the phone while you are in the bathroom. I've heard of people dropping theirs down the toilet - altho there is a phone case that is water resistant, this could be expensive as well as hard on your body.

Yes, sitting too long can lead to hemms. Get out of that bathroom!

Let us know the results of the biopsies. C. diff. is a strange infection and can manifest itself in different ways.

Best of luck.

Midnight
New User

Postby Midnight » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 am

Bobbie wrote:
> Dump the phone while you are in the bathroom. I've heard of people dropping
> theirs down the toilet - altho there is a phone case that is water
> resistant, this could be expensive as well as hard on your body.
>
> Yes, sitting too long can lead to hemms. Get out of that bathroom!
>
> Let us know the results of the biopsies. C. diff. is a strange infection
> and can manifest itself in different ways.
>
> Best of luck.

Yeah, there was a great difference when I decided to stop sitting on the toilet so long. I decided it's just not a habit I want to have, so I kicked it.

I'm glad you mentioned that c diff is strange and can manifest in different ways. I've been hoping that was the case for me (negative lab tests, no pseudomembranes, some minor bleeding at the end of the course that disappeared). I'm going to see a GI that specializes in c diff and get a second opinion regardless of what my current GI says. My current doc wasn't even aware that stool transplants were a treatment for c diff.

I will let you all know what the biopsies say.

Midnight
New User

Postby Midnight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi everyone,

So I got my biopsy results back, and they confirmed UC. It extends half way through my colon. Fortunately, half of my colon is fine. The other half has some mild-moderate inflammation. I'm not in pain, and my doctor gave me meds to take. He said an infection would go through my entire colon, and if I had an infection, it would have probably done way more damage to me with how long I waited to see a doctor.

It's disappointing. I'd rather have c diff than UC, because while neither is a walk in the park, at least c diff is curable.

I'm thankful my condition doesn't appear to be very serious.

Thank you very much for answering my questions in the last few months, everyone. Your site is a great resource.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 am

Midnight,

Am glad the site was helpful even though you don't have C. diff. Years ago, doctors seldom agreed on a diagnosis of C. diff. Now, because it has become so prevalent, it's "the other way around."

I'm sorry your condition is curable, but, as you said, it doesn't sound as though you have a severe case. C. diff. can have horrible side effects, but now you know you don't have it.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Like your posting "moniker" as I am often on the site at midnight.

Midnight
New User

Postby Midnight » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 pm

Thank you Bobbie, wish you the best with your continued administration duties of this site. I'm touched that you would be interested in periodic updates from me, though I don't have c diff. A small gesture, but it means a lot.

Return to “Treatments”