Fecal Enema from You Tube

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
cindy
New User

Fecal Enema from You Tube

Postby cindy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi - my name is Cindy and I have been in your support group for 2 years. I have had c-diff and had been on Vanco for one year and 10 months. Finally, I got approval from my insurance co. for Difficid. I went on the 10-day treatment and thought this would be my cure, but about a week later, I started to have the same old c-diff symptoms of gas, loose stools, etc. I was so upset that I decided to go on the internet and see if they had any information on fecal transplants. Low and behold, on You Tube there was a video from a gentleman (and there's one from a Mom) who explained in detail how to give yourself a fecal enema. Now my husband and I had discussed FT before, but there was no way we could afford the procedure or even find a doctor that did it, but when we watched the video, we both agreed that this was an easy and cheap ($30.00) alternative to try. We purchased an inexpensive blender, disposable gloves, and a bottle of saline solution from Walmart and ordered an enema syringe from our local pharmacy. The only thing I did different from the video was that I went on a liquid diet for 24 hours before the enema which I found out later was a really good idea as I had no leakage. And in three days after watching the video, on April 22nd to be exact, with my supplies in hand and husband's fresh deposit, I gave myself an FT. Honestly speaking, every week I make a green drink (in my good blender) with kale, spinach, celery, banana, apple, and flaxseed that takes me longer and more work to prepare than this FT. Yes, when it was blending it was stinky, but no more stinky than picking up my dog's poop each day, and it was only stinky (I did not use the vicks vapor rub which may have helped) for only about 5 min. Anyway, I felt just OK that day with a little gas, then the next day I felt fine, and the day after I felt good, and then I felt normal for the rest of the week. I kept thinking that this one enema couldn't really cure me, but I kept my hopes up and after 2, 3, 4 weeks passed and still feeling fine - WOW, could I have been cured? So, here I am two months later and the c-diff has not returned. And if it does, all I have to do is give myself another enema which will cost me absolutely nothing but a big Thank You to my husband. I hope this helps some of you out there...I would have tried this a year ago if I knew how simple it was to do....it would have saved me lots of pain, money and time in the bathroom. Thanks for your past support and I will keep you informed on my progress.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fecal Enema from You Tube

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for posting. I did pretty much the same thing, except I don't use a blender, but rather a shaker, which is quicker and easier to clean up. I was helped by it also and feel it prevented a relapse for me after I had to take antibiotics. Now when I have to take antibiotics, like I recently did, I follow up with a few enemas afterwards. Good for you for helping yourself!

cindy
New User

Postby cindy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks Roy - You are correct that my husband should have been tested, but I should have stated that I have been married for 40 years and my GI Dr. thought I should be OK as long as he has not taken an antibiotic in the past 6 months - his last antibiotic was 6 years ago and I know his medical history better than he does...some Drs. want a blood relative as a donor, but then I thought what better donor than someone who I have been living with every day for 40 years. Thanks for pointing out the risks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 pm

The only things that a doctor would test your husband for in his blood, you would be exposed to anyway and could get via sexual relations (hepatitis, AIDS, venereal disease). When I had a colonoscopy transfer, the GI did have my husband test for these, because it is part of the protocol, but he said for spouses, it is really pointless because if you sleep together, you would already have it. The stool testing is probably a good idea, just in case a donor has something, but again, if your husband had normal bms, then there is not much to worry about. If you do it again, I would have a stool culture and a c diff test done though just to make sure. I wish you continued good health, and again, thanks for posting your experience.

bobbysue
Brand New Poster

Postby bobbysue » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:26 pm

This is going to sound like an odd question, but did your personality or the way you think or feel change after you got FMT? I'd like my husband to be my donor (he's super healthy) but he has ADHD and occasional bouts of depression. I, on the other hand, have many many health issues but am basically upbeat and happy with no mental issues. Thoughts?

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Bobby sue-

I had an FT and my sister in law was my donor, I don't feel like personality is different after. She has no depression or anxiety issues. I have some anxiety at times. My GI doctor who did the transplant didn't use mental health issues as an exclusion criteria. Although I have read on "the power of poop" website that finding someone with good mental and physical health is important. I couldn't find any actually scientific evidence for that though

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm

bobbysue,
Don't think there is any correlation between mental and physical health when it comes to FMT. If your husband is willing to be your donor, grab him and thank him profusely. Most people with C. diff. have anxiety so you are an exception.

I used to be called Bobbie Jean. Few double names anymore.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:44 am

I had an FMT from two different donors and did not notice any change in my personality whatsoever.

bobbysue
Brand New Poster

Postby bobbysue » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. My mind is at ease & I will pursue using my husband as my donor. His blood has been sent for the recommended blood tests & we will get his stool test done after we see the GI doctor. I haven't been diagnosed with C. Diff but have a lot of medical problems, and have too much bad bacteria in my gut. My husband thinks FMT will be helpful. Even if it isn't a complete cure it will be beneficial to get more good bacteria in my gut to help my immune system & to hopefully alleviate some of my issues.

P. S. Bobbie (Jean) - I'm Sue & my husband is Bobby so I put them together for my user name. :-)

Return to “Treatments”