Vanco after an FMT

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
BonSong
Regular Contributor

Vanco after an FMT

Postby BonSong » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:38 pm

I thought this might be a good topic of discussion here... I had read some studies on patients who underwent FMT, and some whose symptoms and/or cdiff failed to respond to FMT had responded to a short course of vanco afterwards. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22157239 I wonder if this is something I should ask my doc about because I honestly feel as sick now as I did with active cdiff, even though I'm testing negative. I was fine on vanco, I was on it for a month prior to my FMT and tapered it down to two 250 pills a day and was doing fine up until the FMT via poop pills on May 27. I have been pretty ill ever since the FMT. Wondering if anyone else has experience with vanco after an fmt?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco after an FMT

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:37 pm

I took vanco after my first ng tube transfer when I got a relapse and I felt worse after. All it did was kill more good bacteria. Yes, while you are on it, you feel better at first, but then worse. Why don't you get tested for SIBO and if you have it, you can take Xifaxan. It is also used to treat c difficile. I took it as a chaser to vanco. It helped my post FMT symptoms quite a bit. Ask your doctor if you can be tested. SIBO is quite common after other infections - it is a type of IBS. The pills you took could have brought it on as well.

Return to “Treatments”