Update on 80-year mother--not good

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
mvance12
Brand New Poster

Update on 80-year mother--not good

Postby mvance12 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:42 pm

My mother, the one whom the doctor wanted to be on Cipro, recovered after a course of flagyl. (BTW, when she saw her normal doctor again he said nothing about the CIPRO prescription). Normal stool, regaining energy, and she resumed some outside activities including come to my house for Memorial Day dinner. On Wed she took a stool sample in; results aren't back yet. She then allowed another doctor to give her a shot of what I assume is prolia for the first time. She asked side effects and was told only a rash. Next day, diarrhea is back and has worsened every day. Guess what, prolia impacts the immune system and the doctor knew she had just gotten over C Diff. If that sample comes back normal and she then got this from the shot...!! I had to call her practice today. That doctor said she likely never got over it, but I had also mentioned that shot and the Cipro, so I'm sure he wasn't going to agree with me. We agreed on vancomycin but I insisted that he also prescribe questran. I will also likely make an appointment on Monday for an infectious disease doctor.
Melissa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Update on 80-year mother--not good

Postby beth22 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 pm

I would have your mom test again now that she has D. Sometimes you can get D as a reaction to something and it is not necessarily c diff. Maybe bring in a stool sample on Monday. If you do get Questran, you have to space that far apart from the vanco, or it will bind up the vanco, rendering it ineffective. Good luck. I hope it is not c diff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:04 am

Agree with Beth. Prolia tends to make people susceptible to infection. That is why I don't take it for extreme osteoporosis. I'd change docs and get a copy of her records. I am not in the medical field but Cipro and Prolia are big red flags.

Take her to an ID doc. They usually are well versed in meds.

Best to you and your Mother. She sounds like a spunky woman - and so do you. Best to both of you. Let us know what happens.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 am

All of the so-called osteoporosis meds have concerning safety profiles, in my opinion. And their efficacy is questionable, as far as I've been able to tell from what I've read.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Treatments”