Mid-treatment, questions

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Mikahmom
New User

Mid-treatment, questions

Postby Mikahmom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi, I was tested five weeks ago, positive for CD, and was on Flagyl for ten days. No response.

Saw my GI and he prescribed Vanco. I have completed the first two weeks of 250 mg four times daily. I am now taking 125 mg four times daily. I have another week at that dose, then tapering further.

I seem to still have GI symptoms, but not constantly. I continue to have immense fatigue. Is this "normal"? Does this mean I still have an active infection, if I'm still having symptoms?

Hoping that one 6 week course of Vanco will clear it, but I'm not feeling very optimistic. This has impacted my daily life in a major way.

Thanks in advance.

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Re: Mid-treatment, questions

Postby sickofthis » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:12 pm

I can't respond to the fatigue as I never had that but the GI symptoms can be different for everyone. I had them thought my c diff infection which was 6 months. I had a fmt done 5 weeks ago and still experience slight GI symptoms, I still have some slight pain on my left side, gas and bloating, but this is nothing close to how it was when c diff was present. Doctor said it can take the colon 6 months to 2 years to heal.

Mikahmom
New User

Postby Mikahmom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have other chronic health issues that contribute to fatigue, so I can blame them, I suppose.

I had a sub-total colectomy four years ago, and my GI said I wasn't supposed to even get this infection, that it is usually only in the colon. Goes along with my other unusual conditions. And I honestly had not thought about the tissues trying to heal, thanks for mentioning that.

I guess I will try to be patient. Thank you.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 pm

There can be any number of reasons for fatigue. I do not think it necessarily means you have active infection. It could instead be the aftermath of the infection, as sickofthis also seems to be suggesting.

All of us on the site understand the major impact that C. difficile has. Keep posting to let us know how you're doing. The vanco taper may indeed work for you. Hope so.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Many of us frequent flyers with C. diff. have "unusual" conditions. Wouldn't it be nice to be "normal" for a change?

Hang in there. It take the GI tract awhile to heal.

Mikahmom
New User

Postby Mikahmom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 pm

I really appreciate the kind support and information here. It really does mean a lot to know that others have had this, and 'show the way' to those of us who are new to CD. I have a similar group for my immune disorder, and I don't know what I would have done without the wisdom shared there, as here.

So I just want to say "thanks" to all of you, and for this site.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Thank you for the thanks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:42 am

I was very fatigued when I had c diff, actually after I started vanco. I don't know if it was the medication, the infection that caused malabsorption or what, but it got better eventually. Sometimes c diff can cause people to get anemic because your intestines don't absorb all the nutrients and also most people don't eat a varied diet when they have c ciff. If it continues, ask your doctor to check you for anemia and vitamin deficiencies.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:36 am

I don't want to discourage you either but I was very fatiqued and sick during my recovery from CDiff. It took almost 2 yrs. after a yr. of meds to feel close to normal. I had a severe case of recurring Cdiff and took so much Vanco and then Dificid finally cured me. I had bad IBS and still have issues over 2 yrs. post meds. Hang in there, it will get better but for some of us it just takes really long. I think someone else just stated their Doc said it could take up to 2 yrs for the colon to heal and this has been the case for me also. Keep us posted as to how you do and I will keep you in my prayers. Carol
CAROL

Return to “Treatments”