Should multiple FMTs be done?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
BonSong
Regular Contributor

Should multiple FMTs be done?

Postby BonSong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 am

So, I have been waiting to get in to consult with an ID doctor who coordinates FMTs in a nearby state where I live...I also have ulcerative colitis which literally never flared until I got cdiff. and the more research I do, the more I find that it may take multiple FMTs to be effective in the long term. How do you guys feel about this, and how do you feel about at-home FT enemas? Should I bring it up to my doctor that I am consulting with to spare myself the grief and financial strain of having it done at their hospital for thousands of dollars? I mean, once my donor is cleared, I'm sure I could do it at home.... it would not only save me a lot of grief, it would also save me money... Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Should multiple FMTs be done.

Postby Bobbie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Sorry bit we are not in the medical field and can't advise you about medical questions. Yes, you can do the treatments at home but best to do them under medical circumstances. Ask the doctor you are consulting with these questions or contact some of the posters listed in the FMT forum who said they would answer questions.

Let us know when you talk to the ID.

BonSong
Regular Contributor

Re: Should multiple FMTs be done?

Postby BonSong » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:47 am

I didn't think it was a medical question as much as it was a discussion topic about how people's thoughts and feelings were regarding the home FTs.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:03 am

I just recently did about 6 or so and they helped me more than my initial transfer, but I did them to prevent getting c diff after I took Levaquin/vanco. I did not test positive for c diff before doing them, but the symptoms like smell and consistency indicated that it might be right around the corner, so I did them. I did not have any side effects.

If you are going to do them at home, have your donor tested and follow some kind of written protocol. Other posters have done them successfully, but you have to follow directions and do them correctly. They are not that hard to do. I did mine myself.

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Fri May 16, 2014 9:36 am

I went into the doctors and had 2 FE's done and I did 1 myself at home. They did nothing for me except cost me A LOT of money for the ones done at the doctors. I finally went and had a FMT via colonoscopy and that is what cured me. The cost was 1160.00 which was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. It was the best decision I have ever made as it cured me of my c diff. If the c diff ever comes back without hesitation I would have FMT done again in a heartbeat. Colonoscopy was a simple procedure in and out, no pain at all and c diff free afterwards.

camexonda
Brand New Poster

Postby camexonda » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:57 pm

It's confucing. Can't say yes FMTs can be done and can't say no.
Cameron Dallas

Return to “Treatments”