11 days of Vanco with no relief..

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
mskwear
New User

11 days of Vanco with no relief..

Postby mskwear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:11 pm

This is my 4th time having c diff and taking vanco. I did have a successful FT eight months ago and seemed to be c diff free the entire 8 months but it came back about a month ago worse then the previous 3x. They did up my vanco from 125mg 4x a day to 250mg 4x a day and my question is after 11 days of being on the vanco the D is relentless. I am up to 8-11 times a day and I cant seem to clear it. I dont remember it being this bad especially 11 days in. Any advice?

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Re: 11 days of Vanco with no relief..

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:02 pm

First I would try to contact your doctor on call today. If this were happening to me, I would probably go to ER

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:09 pm

I agree with Research Grandma. You could become seriously dehydrated without medical attention.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

mskwear
New User

Postby mskwear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:50 pm

I would have thought that myself about a week ago but I am totally fine. Going about my day just frequent stops in the bathroom. I seem to do ok during the day and struggle more from 7pm on?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 pm

"Up to 11 times a day" with D that's "relentless" is "totally fine"? OK, if you say so.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

mskwear
New User

Postby mskwear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Well it is relentless that many times a day (esp at night) but all I am saying is I am functioning and not laying in bed lethargic unable to move at that point yes ER would be an option. I suppose I was thinking the Vanco was causing the "relentless D" not as much as dehydration.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Agree with Research Grandma, If you don't want to go to the ER, call your doc.'s office - they usually have a doc on call. Be sure you stay hydrated. Gatorade (mix half and half with water if you have high BP), popsicles, Pedilyte (in babies' aisle). See CDI - Dehydration.

Vanco. should have kicked in by now. Might mention Dificid to doc. Check insurance - very expensive. Way to get at lower price if you have limited income. Again, see CDI.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Dehydration doesn't cause D; it's the other way around.

mskwear
New User

Postby mskwear » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks for the input I did start on the Gatorade and more fluids hopefully that will help. I have an appointment at the Mayo clinic on Monday was just trying to make it until then but maybe a call is in order at this point.
Thank you Bobbie I am thinking that after 11 days and the vanco is helping this could be an issue..I was somewhat in denial thinking it'll get better just tough it out one more day.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Hope your appointment at Mayo goes well. Let us know.

mskwear
New User

Postby mskwear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Appointment went well thank you for asking. My GI said I should be much better then I am at this point so now I see Infectious Disease tomorrow. They believe that either the D is so bad that the vanco isnt staying in my system long enough to kill the bacteria or it is possible it just isn't working for me anymore. He feels they may try Dificid to see if I respond better. They do hope to do another FT asap as well. They did take blood to check my electrolytes etc. since I have dropped 8lbs in the last few weeks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 am

Did they test your stool for anything besides c diff like parasites or another bacteria?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:39 am

Hopefully you will get some answers today with the ID. I want you to know I was cured with Dificid after many courses of Vanco. There is hope, you will get well. Let us know what the ID says. Carol
CAROL

mskwear
New User

Postby mskwear » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:42 pm

So I went into ID and they are giving me 48 hours to turn things around before I check in to the Mayo clinic. They doubled my vanco to 500mg 4x a day and added flaygl 3x a day..Seems extreme to me but he was not wanting to switch me to Dificid and I am unsure why. They believe that the flaygl will help the inflammation enough to slow down the D to let the vanco work. Today is the true test but by tomorrow if I am still at 8-11 times of D I go in and will have the FT within 2 days. Wish me luck...

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Wishing you all the best. Let us know how you're doing.

Return to “Treatments”