7 day treatment?...maybe this is why

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
abnova
Regular User

7 day treatment?...maybe this is why

Postby abnova » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I have seen a couple of posts where pople have been given only 7 days of meds and then wondering why. I am new here but I might have a little insight.

I research like crazy when I have any illness, so I have been researching for 5 days straight. I do remember coming across a study on the efficacy and cure rates for 10 days of meds that said something to the effect that....a (insert % here) number of study patients were cured with (x,y,z med) for 10 days but that they also seemed to be cured only after 7 days...or something like that.

I do not remember what study, how old it was, or who the author was. But, I think it is likely to be an old one that has outdated information.

I will try to relocate the study again...but I have honestly probably looked at 100 studies/articles/references about c-diff so I am not sure if I will be able to.

Just wanted to give insight into why some Drs may be prescribing in that manner for c diff...maybe using outdated info. Just trying to help if it can clear even a tiny bit of the confusion, misinformation, unknowns, etc that this illness carries with it.

If I have overstepped a bound by not being able to provide the resource I apologize and please delete if that is not allowed.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: 7 day treatment?...maybe this is why

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Do all the research you want. We welcome new information. Frankly, many docs. do not seem to know a lot about C. diff., and even in a "best case scenario" it can be a difficult disease to treat. "Difficle" is difficult in Latin - so named because it is often difficult to test.

Docs. disagree on the strength of meds. prescribed. Some say 125 mg quid is sufficient. (A well-known researcher - Dr. Fekety from the U. of MI Med. Center wrote an article for a medical journal that said l25 mg quid is sufficient but many of us have been on much stronger doses of Vanco.) I was on 250 mg quid a number of times because l25 mg do longer worked for me.

Some docs. treat UTI's with 3 days of meds. while others insist on 7 days. But doctors (even in the same field) seldom agree on anything. Each brings his/her own experiences plus their education into the "meld."

Let us know what you discover. A well-informed patient is the best weapon against most health conditions.

Return to “Treatments”