Cdiff worse after Vanco

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Cdiff worse after Vanco

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:40 pm

You are a wonderful advocate for your daughter. I had a chronically ill child, too, and you have to be hyper vigilant. And yes, I've seen nurses, who were super busy, neglect to mask and glove when entering the room of a child who was in insolation because of chemo. treatments. Kudos to you, Mom.

Most UTI's are caused by E. coli bacteria and will respond to Macrobid - which is considered a "low offender" in causing C. diff. but if you don't dare wait, you don't.

We've had several cancer patient post on this site (including the mother of a child who had a brain tumor. They all said their other medical problems were secondary to the C. diff.

I hope you have support (husband, other family members) to help in the care of your daughter ad in dealing with doctors and hospitals.

Best to you. Keep us posted.

samo1675
New User

Postby samo1675 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:19 pm

I think we are turning a corner here. Yesterday she went about 12-15 times and today only 5. This is definitely better than before. I'm sending her to school tomorrow so let's see how that goes!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 am

Great news. I hope today is even better for her and she is on the road to a full recovery. Keep us posted. Carol
CAROL

samo1675
New User

Postby samo1675 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 pm

So last Thursday her bowel movements went back to normal and she had been fine in terms of stool. She was very hungry and eating quite a bit but we did notice that her weight went up quite a bit and her urine output was decreased. Not as high as it should have been, based on how much I was putting in her. Sunday morning, her eyes looked a bit puffy and I thought she was retaining water. Her weight was elevated again and that is not good with a kidney transplant patient! So off to the ER we went. When we got there, she suddenly had an urgent need to pee about three times. We did chest x-rays, bloods and even an abdominal CT but everything came back normal, thankfully. The doctors were like, she probably gained weight from eating a lot. But I know my daughter and that was not weight gain. That was water retention. Since then, she has been peeing more and lost some of that excess weight and has not had any eye swelling. I think maybe it as third spacing or some other fluid imbalance after C. Diff.? Anyone heard of that or experienced it?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:50 pm

No, I didn't experience any weight or water retention, quite the opposite so its good you went to the ER and everything is good. Hopefully she will do well now and no more CDiff. Carol
CAROL

samo1675
New User

Postby samo1675 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks Carol. Today she seems fine....and her labs were perfect that day. It was very strange.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm

If she had an increased intake of salt, that could have made her retain fluids as well. Some foods contain more than we realize. I retain fluids if I consume more salt than normal.

samo1675
New User

Postby samo1675 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:07 am

So things were great for a week or so and everything was back to normal but she just started with a feve and diarrhea and a headache. I think the c diff might be back. We stopped vanco on Thursday and it seems to be be back less than a week later. Have any of you heard of headaches with this? Also how high do fevers go? Any idea. Would appreciate any answers!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:13 am

I never had a fever with c-diff so I can't comment on that, but I did have horrible headaches, particularly when I first woke up in the mornings. Is it possible that she could have picked up a virus? Has she been exposed to anybody that has had one that you know of? I would definitely be in contact with her doctor about the return of symptoms to see where to go from here. Probably will want to retest.

I am so sorry to hear that she is not doing well again. I hope you get some answers soon. I will keep you both in my prayers.
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:03 am

I had a very high fever with my initial bout of CDiff, over 103. With the subsequent relapses I didn't have fever. My relapses were always milder but some have very severe relapses. Hopefully its just a bug but if she continues with D I would get her a stool test and go from there. Keep us posted as to how she does. Carol
CAROL

samo1675
New User

Postby samo1675 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yesterday her WBC came back at 20! So in order to rule out something more serious, we went to the ER to get worked up. I made them continue tr vanco and also they ran every test under tr sun. The cdiff came back negative but I have never trusted that test. She is now on vanco. The fever is gone. The viral panels and chest X-ray showed nothing out of the ordinary. I hear it is quite common to have a high WBC with c diff? Thank you so much for your replies earlier. It really helps.

Return to “Treatments”