Continuing C-Diff

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Greatwhitewing
Brand New Poster

Continuing C-Diff

Postby Greatwhitewing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Had the symptoms for many months, finally got to a gastro guy. Had scope done from both ends at different times. Finally after a bunch of lab work I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Treated with Xifaxin. Syptoms came back after a couple months, another stool sample and diagnosis with C-Diff.

Another round of Xifaxin and it worked for a couple (2) months. Symptoms returned again 5 days ago with one time vomiting. Now just direah 5-6 times a day with cramping.

Should I be looking at another drug from my gastro Dr.? The Xifaxin is pretty expensive even after insurance and not really fixing the problem long term.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Continuing C-Diff

Postby AllisS » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:17 pm

STANDARD INTRO LETTER: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum, All Users Read This First, and the subtopic Guidelines for Posting to Our Discussion Boards. (Note limit on posting length.) They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s article and topics in CDI – C. Diff Info – Formerly FAQ, including Tests, Hygiene Tips, and Nutrition. Also read The C. Diff Bible at http://apic.org/Resource_/EliminationGu ... fFinal.pdf.

The majority (about 80%) recover with one or two rounds of Flagyl or vancomycin. A small percentage do not. Most people eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. (See FMT Information and Treatments.) Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.

If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI – Antibiotics Most Likely to Cause C. Diff/Antibiotic Resistance.) Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article.) Don’t take medications for C. diff unless you are tested. (See CDI – Tests.)

For further information, see http://www.peggyfoundation.org/ and several other support groups on Facebook. Also, visit reputable medical sites, such as www.mayoclinic.org and www.webmd.com.

This is a support site, not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice, but we can tell you what did or did not work for us. No one will understand exactly what you are going through unless they have had this unpredictable disease. The best protection, for you and others, is thorough hand-washing and good overall hygiene.

Although we know how devastating C. diff can be physically, mentally, and financially, this is not a fundraising site. We rarely ban posters unless they are verbally abusive, combative, or insulting; use inappropriate language consistently; or attempt to sell something through the site, in which case we usually issue a warning first.

Again, welcome. Remember, the odds are in your favor.
END OF LETTER

Greatwhitewing, Xifaxan is typically given for so-called traveler's diarrhea and sometimes IBS. The standard treatment for c. difficile is Flagyl or Vanco (sometimes Vanco if Flagyl hasn't worked; sometimes Vanco is given initially, depending on doctor's preference, insurance coverage, etc.). It seems odd that a GI dr. would not be prescribing that regimen rather than Xifaxan. I would ask for the Flagyl or Vanco. You may also want to get a referral to a GI dr. specializing in c. difficile, since your current dr. does not seem up on it. I hope you're able to get your symptoms addressed more effectively soon.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:51 pm

If I understood your post correctly,you were given the Xifaxan for the SIBO, not for the c diff, right? Xifaxan is the correct treatment for SIBO, but my Gi told me that usually symptoms do come back. The trick is to try and initially get the bacteria count down with the Xifaxan and then eat foods that are low in sugar, etc to get good flora to re-populate in your inestines. For those of us with a history of c diff, that is hard. I had SIBO as well and still have it to a lesser extent. One other possibility is that you tested positive for SIBO because you still had c diff. The first time that I tested positive for it, I had a very high bacterial count and my breath test went off the charts. I relapsed with c diff after that. When I tested after my c diff was under control, I was still positive for SIBO, but tested at 40 vs 150%. If you treat the c diff, you may find that the SIBO gets better too, especially if your doctor has you do a chaser with Xifaxan. As the others pointed out, it is not usually given to treat c diff alone. Some strains are resistant to it.

Greatwhitewing
Brand New Poster

Postby Greatwhitewing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks all especially Beth.

I have a call into my Gastro guy. One thing I also had months ago was something in my esophagus I can't remember right now. he even mentioned sending me to a infectious disease guy a while ago!

For the record I am 56 and in otherwise good health being moderately overweight. I also was NOT taking any antibiotics other than what the Gastro guy prescribed.

Last time I took the Xifaxin I had relief before taking the second pill. Makes me think the medicine wasn't the cause???

Thanks again for all your help

Return to “Treatments”