FMT questions

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
elaineford1
New User

FMT questions

Postby elaineford1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:04 am

Hi. I am seeing an Infectious Disease doctor this week to discuss having the fecal transplant. I have been on five rounds of vancomycin and flagyl before that. I am sick all the time and have extreme back pain, chest pain and pain in all of my jointsI was wondering if he agrees to the fecal transplant, what is the process like? Once we decide to do this how long before it actually happens. After the surgery to you go home or you do have to stay in the hospital.

Just any information you could give me on this would be great!

Thanks! Elaine

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: FMT questions

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:48 am

elainford,
The FMT is usually given as part of a colonoscopy after a prep the night before. You usually remain on one of the C. diff. meds. for a day or two before the procedure. It is done on an outpatient basis, and you go home several hours later. It is important you "hold the transfer" as long as you can although one patient held it for l5 min. and did well. Because it is given as a colonoscopy, your insurance might pay for some of the procedure.

For some, it is a "miracle" cure. For others, it can take awhile until you feel 100%. (I had IBS for several months afterwards.)

It is important you ask your doctor:

What tests do my donor and I have to take?
Who would be my best donor: family member, sibling, friend?
How long will I be on C. diff. meds. before the procedure?
How long before the prep should I stop eating with the exception of liquids and other broths, and jello (not red) ?
What should I know about the prep?
What else should I know about the procedure?
What limitations on activity should I follow after the procedure?
What warning signs (if any) should I report?
Is there any advice about diet? (Some doctors advise staying on a low fiber diet before the procedure and a high fiber diet afterwards to "feed" the new good bacteria.)
Should I anticipate side effects of the procedure? (Example IBS.)

I am not in the medical field. The above information was taken from my own experience and is not a substitute for your own doctor's advice.

Return to “Treatments”