Hubby in poor health now has C-diff

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Hugemom
Brand New Poster

Hubby in poor health now has C-diff

Postby Hugemom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Hello, everyone! My husband is 62 and was recently in the hospital for a massive infection in his heart valves that spread throughout his body. He was on too many antibiotics to list; one for 10 days through a piccline. Now he has tested positiive for C diff. It's been a week of the antibiotics and 2 weeks of "blow outs". He is disabled and I have to clean him up each time. I know he feels bad but I always tell him it's okay. He is very depressed and disheartened. He has been losing weight--almost 5lbs this week alone. He has no appetite and doesn't want to eat because it goes right through him. I don't know what to say to him to get his spirits up. He had to quit his job because of his health. He is taking 2 culturelles a day and eating a carton of yogurt. Can all of you help me vet his spirits (and weight) back up? Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hubby in poor health now has C-diff

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 pm

STANDARD INTRODUCTION: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum “All Users Read This First” and subtopics “Please Read before You Post” and “Guidelines for Posting to our Discussion Boards.” They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's article and topics in “CDI” – formerly” FAQ” – including “Hygiene” “Nutrition” and “Testing.”

The majority (about 80%) recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin. An unfortunate small percentage doesn’t and can suffer for months. Most eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.
If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See “CDI – Antibiotics”). Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). Don’t take medications for C. diff. unless you are tested. (See “CDI – Tests.”)

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org and several other support groups on FB. Do research on medical sites such as “Mayo Clinic” and “Web MD.”

What antibiotic is your husband taking for the c diff and what strength? I became lactose intolerant with c diff, so the yogurt may be making things worse. I also could not tolerate probiotics well. In fact, Culturelle gave me cramping and D, so that may also be adding to the problem. Did the D get any better with the medication he is taking or not?

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:42 pm

I'm sorry to hear your husband is suffering so. If he is taking Flagyl, which is usually the first drug they give for c-diff, it is very common to have no appetite while taking that medication. Also if he's been on it for a week now and is not getting better, still having severe diarrhea, it might be time to ask his doctor about switching him to Vanco. Primadophilus L. Reuteri, which is a probiotic that can be found at your health food store, Earth Fare or Whole Foods, has helped quite a few on here with improving the appetite, myself included.

Most of all, he needs to know that he WILL get better. It may take awhile, but it will happen. I hope he begins to feel better soon.
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:45 am

So sorry your husband has this terrible disease on top of all his other health issues. If he is still having blowouts its time to call the Dr. and get him switched to Vanco. Ask for the liquid that is compounded, its cheaper. I hope he begins to feel better but depression and anxiety go along with Cdiff unfortunately. Let us know how he does. Also I hope you are using gloves to clean up and are bleaching etc. so you don't catch it. Since you are in direct contact with his feces you must take extra precautions. I would hate to see you come down with this. YOu should be fine as long as you practice good handwashing after cleaning up with bleach where you can. Carol
CAROL

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Ugh, I'm sorry for you both. I'd also suggest switching to vancomycin to treat the C diff for faster relief of symptoms. You may also want to ask for Questran powder to help firm up his stools. He will have to take it spaced as far as possible from his vanco doses because it is a resin that binds things up (including C diff toxin and possibly vancomycin). I also couldn't tolerate any dairy, including yogurt, for a year during/after C diff, so consider dropping the yogurt and adding Align probiotic or another one that contains Bifidobacteria to the pill regime. If you can afford it, VSL#3 is a great probiotic but you may have to order it online because most pharmacies don't carry it.

Return to “Treatments”