New topic on Diet

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Maya
Regular User

New topic on Diet

Postby Maya » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:18 am

I have read the previous post about diet but it was from 2011 so thought it might be good to start a new discussion.

I've been following the BRAT diet and slowly adding in new foods. I'm avoiding citrus, sugar and fat as well as uncooked veggies as much as i can. I am drinking Kefir but can't stand the unflavored on. I've been getting the flavored ones but they do contain sugar. Still I find the Kefir is very soothing. Is there such a thing as too many probiotics? I was planning on picking up some Floristall.

I'm curious about some other supplements as well. Tumeric is supposed to be great for inflamation. I've been taking some at night in pill form. I was also low on vitamin D so am taking some of the gel tabs.

I'm vegetarian and so eat soy in moderation. I tried some today and surprisingly it didn't sit well. maybe the fat content is too high?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: New topic on Diet

Postby AllisS » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:31 am

Yes, there is such a thing as too many probiotics. Even in smaller amounts, some probiotics cause adverse GI effects in some people.

As for soy, its beneficial role continues to be debated; see, e.g., http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -genistein

(The above is one among numerous articles you'll find by Googling.)
Last edited by AllisS on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 am

Diet is a very individualized thing. What sits well with you might not sit well with someone else. Dairy is usually the biggie, most people post CDiff have some lactose intolerance. I still use Lactaid milk but I can now eat cheese in moderation and some dairy after nearly 2 years. I never had a problem with coffee, some do. Probiotics is something else you have to experiment with. Some people can't tolerate them at all. I'm sure others will chime in with what worked for them. Carol
CAROL

Maya
Regular User

Postby Maya » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:58 pm

What have you all tried while slowly modifying BRAT?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Chicken is easy to digest and a good source of protein. I eventually added almost everything back in my diet and went with the old "Everything in moderation; nothing to excess" theory. Only then did I start to gain weight.

Since everyone is individual, it's "trial and error." Most people continue to have problems with dairy products so you might add these very gradually. Also, I'd stay away from excess sugar for awhile.

If you get a prescription from your doctor, your insurance might cover the cost of seeing a registered dietician. Do it now - before the "Affordable Health Care Act" is fully implemented.

Maya
Regular User

Postby Maya » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 pm

how will the affordable care act be problematic?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Maya,
Who knows because few understand it. As the brilliant Nancy Pelosi said, "First we'll past it; then we'll understand it." Hasn't turned out well so far.

Best to contact you individual insurance provider - or perhaps best to wait until they contact you. We have a grace period now because the "Affordable Care" web site didn't work. Big surprise there. We will let you know if we hear anything, but this will affect every person differently - according to their age, type of insurance, the company they work for/worded for, etc.

Maya
Regular User

Postby Maya » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Bobbie

I have been with Kaiser and just noticed my office visit co-pays went up $10 without any notification. So that's one.

Return to “Treatments”