ACV

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Maya
Regular User

ACV

Postby Maya » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 am

New to the site and glad that I found it! I'm looking for a 'just out of hospital' diet'. I've added Kefir and felt an instant soothing. However, prior to this nightmare I had been using apple cider vinegar as a daily tonic for general well-being. Will it interfere with the process of introducing good bacteria?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: ACV

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:02 am

STANDARD INTRODUCTION: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum “All Users Read This First” and subtopics “Please Read before You Post” and “Guidelines for Posting to our Discussion Boards. (Note limit on posting length.) They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's article and topics in “CDI” – formerly” FAQ” – including “Hygiene” “Nutrition” and “Testing.” Also read The C. diff. Bible at http://apic.org/Resource_/EliminationGu ... fFinal.pdf.

The majority (about 80%) recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin. An unfortunate small percentage doesn’t and can suffer for months. Most eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.

If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See “CDI – Antibiotics”). Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). Don’t take medications for C. diff. unless you are tested. (See “CDI – Tests.”)

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org and several other support groups on FB. Do research on medical sites such as “Mayo Clinic” and “Web MD.”

This is a support site not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had this unpredictable disease. The best protection (for you and others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene.

Although we know how devastating C. diff. can be - physically, mentally, and financially - it is not a fund-raising site. We rarely ban posters unless they are verbally abusive, combative or insulting; use inappropriate language consistently; or attempt to sell something through the site and usually issue a warning first.

Again, welcome. Remember, the odds are in your favor. (END)

Many on the site swear by kefir and/or other probiotics. Do ask your doctor what he/she thinks about kefir/probiotics and about vinegar. Most doctors suggest the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) for awhile until your GI tract starts to heal. Then add other foods gradually.

Keep us posted.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: ACV

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:53 pm

I have read that ACV is good for yeast, but I am not sure if it kills good bacteria, so best to check this out with a doctor or a naturapath.

Return to “Treatments”