7 Weeks of Vanco?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ben42
Brand New Poster

7 Weeks of Vanco?

Postby Ben42 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi everyone! I have been in a war with c-diff for 9 months now. It took the GI doc 3 months to diagnose the infection during which time I had a colonoscopy and a EGD done to figure out what was going on. I have been on Flagyl, Vanco, a compound of CG/Bacitracin, Dificid and each treatment failed. My GI doc referred me to the ID doc last week and she has put me on 7 weeks of Vanco. Has anyone in the community been placed on Vanco for such a long period of time? All the research I have performed has resulted in little info. Thanks a bunch!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: 7 Weeks of Vanco?

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:05 pm

STANDARD INTRODUCTION: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum “All Users Read This First” and subtopics “Please Read before You Post” and “Guidelines for Posting to our Discussion Boards.” They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's article and topics in “CDI” – formerly” FAQ” – including “Hygiene” “Nutrition” and “Testing.”

The majority (about 80%) recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin. An unfortunate small percentage doesn’t and can suffer for months. Most eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.

If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See “CDI – Antibiotics”). Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). Don’t take medications for C. diff. unless you are tested. (See “CDI – Tests.”)

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org and several other support groups on FB. Do research on medical sites such as “Mayo Clinic” and “Web MD.”

This is a support site not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had this unpredictable disease. The best protection (for you and others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene.

Although we know how devastating C. diff. can be - physically, mentally, and financially - it is not a fund-raising site. We rarely ban posters unless they are verbally abusive, combative or insulting; use inappropriate language consistently; or attempt to sell something through the site and usually issue a warning first.
Again, welcome. Remember, the odds are in your favour.

I'm so sorry you have come down with this awful disease. It sounds like the Dr. has put you on a taper of Vanco and yes, many people have taken it for this long and longer. Tapers have good results many times so lets hope this will finally take care of your CDiff. Dificid is what finally kicked the Cdiff for me so you might want to try it again if this taper doesn't work. There is also the FT option, that has a very good cure rate. I hope this does it for you and you get over the Cdiff for good this time. Read the boards and you will find a wealth of info on here. Good luck. Carol
CAROL

cindy
New User

Postby cindy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:25 pm

I have had c-diff for 1 year and 3 months and am still on vanco. The C-diff started last July with the normal 2 weeks of vanco, and then another 2 weeks, but it came back. Then 1 month of vanco, After that I started a 3 month taper-back again, then a 6 month taper-Hello C-Diff. Then in May I changed Drs. and new Dr. changed the medication to Flagyl for a 3 month taper. But C-Diff came back as usual in 7 -10 days. In August went back on the vanco with a taper/pulse regimen that is listed on this board. Am now in the third week of the pulsing and am seeing the GI Dr. today for an update on the pulse which is now 3 X 125mg vanco a day for 4 days and then 2 days off which has been fine. My goal is to cut down the vanco to one a week. I also asked this board on my year anniversary on vanco if anyone was on that long, but no one said they were on that long so 7 weeks in retrospect should be fine. Cindy

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I was on Vanco for over 3 months at one point. I took loads of Vanco for over a year also and finally took Dificid. Its what finally seems to have knocked out Cdiff. I still have IBS and colitis but am much better. Can you ask your Dr. why they haven't prescribed Dificid for you? If its the cost the Optimer website has info on getting the med for free or reduced cost if you qualifiy. You also have the FT option left. I think its safe to say Vanco isn't going to cure you at this point. Are you testing for relapse or just going by symptoms. I had many of the same symptoms post CDiff from IBS as I had when I was still sick with CDiff so its good to get tested and see if you are still pos. Hope you can find something to get you off this horrible merry go round of Cdiff. Its been too long. Carol
CAROL

Return to “Treatments”