Got Fidaxomicin but just took Vanco. Should I wait?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
DJ1
New User

Got Fidaxomicin but just took Vanco. Should I wait?

Postby DJ1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello all I'm back again with another relapse. Onto last resort....

Quick history:
Got C-diff last year (summer) after taking antibiotics for a dental procedure. 2 rounds of Flagyl did not work. Then I took a round of Flagyl + Vanco for 10 days & that did the trick.
Fast forward to summer of this year...once again took antibiotics for a simple medical procedure and ended up with C Diff again. :(

Dr put me on Vanco 125 mg 4x day for 8 weeks (including a long taper). Unfortunately 10 days off the meds the C Diff came back with a vengeance. G.I. reffered me to an I.D. That Dr put me on 250 Mg Vanco 4x day for 6 weeks (taper again) this time 9 days off meds C diff once again came back! I was baffled.
At that point symptoms were very severe but I couldnt get an appointment to see my Dr quickly. So by phone an associate of my Dr prescribed Vanco once again??? I didnt question it & I had only taken 5 doses of Vanco b4 actually seeing my Dr. At that time (earlier today) Imediately he was on phone with my insurance about getting Dificid. I got it!

But the issue is when the pharmacist dispensed it to me she asked if I was currently on Vanco. (I was) She said that could change the effectiveness of the Dificid?
She explained that the Dificid is a narrow spectrum antibiotic & normally works best when is the Cdiff is out of control. She said the Vanco probably wiped out most of my stomach flora so she's questioning how effective the new med could be at targeting the C-diff at this point.

So my questionv is:
Should I just wait, finish the vanco and see if I relapse? OR start taking the Dificid now??? I'm very confused & wont be about to speak to my Dr until Mon. I just want sometng to finally WORK.
I know this site does not have doctors but I am welcoming any advice about Fidaxomicin.
VikingJeff? Anybody?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Got Fidaxomicin but just took Vanco. Should I wait?

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 am

This is something you will have to ask your Dr. but I was on both at the same time and Dificid is what finally got my CDiff under control. I am 17 months out from it and still neg. on CDiff tests. Hope you can get the Dr. over the weekend and he can advise you. Carol
CAROL

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:34 am

I took Dificid after many Vanco tapers and it is what finally got rid of my c-diff. I would follow your doctors instructions and take the Dificid.
Anne

DJ1
New User

Postby DJ1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:02 am

Thank you for the replies Carol, Anne & Roy .

Yes the doctor recommended taking the Dificid but he was unaware I was able to get it so quickly. The pharmacist told him they would not have until Monday (but I was welcome to call around and see what happens) I persisted, called about 20 pharmacies and found a partial supply . I mean he didn't say I could not take it right away but like I said he was under the assumption I would probably be getting it on Monday. So from Friday to Monday would be approximately 3 days. I stop taking the vanco yesterday around 5 p.m.
I apologize if I am being a fanatic about this but being that I've had cdiff 6 times in the past 12 months & on the last line of defense of drugs I NEED this to work.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:29 am

I totally understand your feelings. I relapsed over and over again for 4 1/2 years. Dificid ended my suffering.
The Dificid will kill less of the good flora while targeting the c-diff bacteria. If Vanco has not worked, it is worth a try.
Anne

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Well, what did you decide to do? How are you doing?
Anne

Return to “Treatments”