Tapering Vanco

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
NJMarilyn
New User

Tapering Vanco

Postby NJMarilyn » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am

This is my third bout with C-Diff. I will now be on Vanco for a month. The dose I am on now for 10 days is: 250 mg. 4 times a day. Then the tapering will start. What dose and amount is considered a taper? If that doesn't work, then what? Thank you for your help.
Marilyn

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tapering Vanco

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:06 pm

STANDARD INTRODUCTION: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum “All Users Read This First” and subtopics “Please Read before You Post” and “Guidelines for Posting to our Discussion Boards.” They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's article and topics in “CDI” – formerly” FAQ” – including “Hygiene” “Nutrition” and “Testing.”

The majority (about 80%) recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin. An unfortunate small percentage doesn’t and can suffer for months. Most eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.
If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See “CDI – Antibiotics”). Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). Don’t take medications for C. diff. unless you are tested. (See “CDI – Tests.”)

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org and several other support groups on FB. Do research on medical sites such as “Mayo Clinic” and “Web MD.”

This is a support site not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had this unpredictable disease. The best protection (for you and others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene.

Although we know how devastating C. diff. can be - physically, mentally, and financially - it is not a fund-raising site. We rarely ban posters unless they are verbally abusive, combative or insulting; use inappropriate language consistently; or attempt to sell something through the site and usually issue a warning first.

Again, welcome. Remember, the odds are in your favor.

So sorry you are still dealing with CDiff. It can be very stubborn. Tapers have good results sometimes. Usually when the tapering starts they prescribe 125mg. 4X a day and go down from there to 3X a day after two weeks etc. The length of the taper will be up to your Dr. and how you do. Hopefully this will do it for you and you can begin the healing process. Good luck and keep us posted. Carol
CAROL

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Interesting.
I've just received my first VANCO prescription.
It's to be taken 4 x 125 mg per day, for 10 days.

NJMarilyn
New User

Postby NJMarilyn » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 pm

I had read that the dose is 125 mg. but I am on 250 mg. 4 times a day. I had taken Vanco for a week a few weeks ago and that didn't get rid of the C-Diff. My doctor was away and the covering doctor prescribed Flagyl. It turns out I am highly allergic to Flagyl. So, now I am back on Vanco. I don't think the C-Diff ever left and 7 days was not enough to cure it the last time. I'm hoping this works!

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:08 am

I am really sorry that you are still messing with c-diff after your first treatment.
Vanco is usually given for 14 days at either 250 mg or 125 mg 4x a day. In rare cases, I have seen it prescribed at 500 mg 4x a day. Each case is different.
I was treated with 250 mg 4x a day for 14 days. Then I tapered to 250 mg 3 x a day for two weeks. Then 250 mg 2 x a day for two weeks. Then 250 once a day for two weeks. Then 125 mg once a day for two weeks. There are other examples of tapers under the CDI section of this board.
I hope this taper kicks it for you!
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Pulsing Vanco. has worked for some of our posters. See CDI - Pulsing.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 pm

I was one of the folks who found that pulsing vanco worked for me, after 8 months of cdiff. I followed the protocol on the site that Bobbie mentioned, and I added some days at the end (because I was scared to stop). I brought a copy of it to my ID doc. So if the taper doesn't work for you, keep pulsing in mind. Good luck.

NJMarilyn
New User

Postby NJMarilyn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am

Thank you for responding. I saw the GI and he has decided to keep me on Vancomycin at 250 mg. 4 x a day for at least another 10 days. I'm hoping for the best.

Return to “Treatments”