anyone done dificid tapering?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
sarahh
New User

anyone done dificid tapering?

Postby sarahh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:34 pm

i finished dificid a little over two weeks ago, and it is the only antibiotic that seemed to help with my symptoms. I still had issues with IBS and colonoscopy showed possible microscopic colitis, so that confuses things a bit, but while on dificid i would only have to go a couple times in the morning and then the rest of the day would be good. things continued to be pretty good for about 13 days post dificid (only 1-2 times per day but still not normal color, soft, etc) and on the day I retested I had a completely normal BM which I never see. so that test came back negative via PCR as expected, but starting the day after I retested, I started having a bit more frequency and not normal color... I told my doctor that I suspected possible relapse and if i can retest, but he just wants to order a taper for dificid. Has anyone done this before? I was already wary to take dificid in the first place because I am hesitant with new drugs and possible side effects, especially if it's long term like with a taper. Please let me know if anyone has had any success with this, and if you feel like I should get retested (would insurance let me retest so quickly?) also is it possible to relapse like that so abruptly after such a good day (day that i retesteD)? any help much appreciated!!!

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Re: anyone done dificid tapering?

Postby gm37 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi, Sarah,
I took Dificid for 10 days. I have read of people taking it for 14 days, but can't recall tapering posts.
After I took it two years ago, things were unsettled for about two months. I have had D since then, but always tested negative. It takestimeafter finishing the Dificid for things to get back to normal. I have colitis and when it flares, it looks liked-diff. Very confusing.
Someone needs to write the book... C-Diff for Dummies. I could use it.
Anne

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:40 am

I have not heard of tapering Dificid, probably because it is so expensive and new. I found Dificid a hard drug to take but I was like you, still didn't feel well but was CDiff neg. I got numerous tests done but always neg. It takes a long while to feel better. The colon takes months, years even to get back to normal. I also have colitis and cannot eat some foods. I think we can say that Cdiff does damage the colon and who knows if things will ever be like they were, the Drs. can't tell you for sure. All I do is treat symptoms as they come up and go from there. If no D you are ahead of the game. See if you can track down something you are eating causing the loose stool. Do you do Probiotics or Florastor? They help some people a lot. Ask the Dr. what you can take but you do sound like you are having a good recovery. Hope it continues and you get back to normal. Carol
CAROL

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree with Roy. You are testing negative....give your body a chance to heal. Good luck.
Anne

Return to “Treatments”