Liquid Oral Vanco Dosage question

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
BananaSlug

Liquid Oral Vanco Dosage question

Postby BananaSlug » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:52 pm

They have me on 250mg/5ml - 4 times a day. equaled out to 1 teaspoon (5ml) every 4 hrs. Does that seem right and typical amount for the liquid? Plus it seems like so very little, when just seeing it as a teaspoon. Plus, kinda wondering how that'll all hold up for 14 days cos it seems far away. lol. Id think itd all go pretty fast, but then again. its not alot.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: Liquid Oral Vanco Dosage question

Postby seekingcure » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm

You're actually on the higher dosage of Vanco. I'm only taking 125 mg. at a time, but some doctors prescribe the higher dose. I've wondered if maybe I'm not on a strong enough dose. Did the pharmacy give you a syringe to measure it with? A typical teaspoon is not as accurate and you might not get the correct dosage.
Bea

BananaSlug

Postby BananaSlug » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Yup, they gave me a syringe with the proper measuring lines, etc. Then I put that into a cold med cup and drink it, or add some water to it. Yeah.. just saw its usually 100mg less than what they gave me. ha. I guess if I gotta go on another round they'll probably make it more. I think the limit is 500mg. Hopefully the 250 is what kicks it. Just amazing how so much of it is in such a little quantity of liquid. Was just wondering if 5/ml is the actual proper equiv for 250mg.

Have you asked your doctor to up your dose? Id say try the highest, safest dose right at the start instead of them having you go back and forth. You're on the liquid this time, right? Or was the first round liquid and now you're on the tablet?

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Yes 5 ml./1 teaspoon is the correct dosage to get 250 mg. It's a 50 mg. per ml solution. I'm taking the liquid too, can't afford the capsules. I'm testing negative while on the Vanco. I have my doubts about it being accurate while on meds, but GI says it is, so there's no need to increase the dosage at this point. I'm down to twice a day on the Vanco now and will soon decrease to once a day. GI's office is supposed to call me Monday and give me instructions since the test came back on Friday as negative, but the doctor was not in. I'm trying to get him to let me do a pulse at the end of the round instead of just stopping cold turkey. Several people on site have had success with pulsing and I want the best chance I can get of this not coming back this time.
Bea

BananaSlug

Postby BananaSlug » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:11 pm

I would think it would not be wise to test while on flagyl or vanco. because, its being kept at bay, or scared into dormancy or being wiped out. it would be pointless. unless what kinda test are they running while you are on it? PCR or just the toxin test? or something else? if the PCR.. it might make more sense what your doc said. it might show that the meds are working at that dose and not to kill off any extra good bugs.
its what happens afterwards. id say do a true test after a month after taking the meds, and doing straight through probiotic therapy starting day 1 of the smaller tapers. or the very last dose of your course. and see if that corrects it, and gets stuff in balance. then retest.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:41 am

I started with 250mg of vanco 4 x per day and it was overkill. Most doctors say to take the lesser dose of 125mg. Having said that, there were a couple of posters who tested positive while on this dose and had to increase to 250mg. My ID started me at 250mg x 4 for a few days and then had me take 250 3 x per day and taper after that. I think if the vanco is going to work, it will work at either dose. Many posters have gotten better on both of these doses. They usually save the higher doses for more severe infections. I found that every time I relapsed, it took the vanco more days to kick in, so maybe if I had taken less, it would have been better. Your doctor has to decide how severe your infection is based on symptoms and prescribe based on that. It sounds as if you are both doing well, so the regimen seems to be working. As BananaSlug said, the true test is when you get off the vanco completely. That's when the kefir, probiotics, etc. are especially important. I can't tolerate probiotics well at all - get horrible gas, bloating, cramping, and D. That is probably why I kept relapsing as I could not eat yogurt or take probiotics except a very small amount out of one capsule. I had to go with a stool transfer in order to stop relapsing.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:59 am

Just remember everyone can't take probiotics or drink Kefir. Please only post what works for you, we don't tell people what to do and give a regimen of when to drink or take this or that. That is for Drs. to prescribe. Even probiotics and Florastor can be dangerous for some people to take if they are on other meds. We always tell people to check with their own DRs. Just because something is over the counter doesn't mean it is safe. Also, there is controversy with oral probiotics. Some Drs. say they don't help, they don't make it to the intestines. Others say they do. If you take them and they help you that is great. 'bananaslug, please stick to one post per day. You can ask as many questions in that post as you like. YOu can support other people by answering their posts but the site becomes too unwieldy if a few people are asking too many questions at once. I know you are excited at your progress but if you use the search feature most of these questions have been answered already. Hope you are still feeling better and better. Also the doses of Vanco have been discussed many times. Some Dr.s do 250mg. most do 125mg. I was started at 250mg. in the hospital as I had a very severe case and was hospitalized. So this is really a call for your Dr as to what dose you get. Carol
CAROL

Return to “Treatments”