Bactrim as a treatment?!

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Pico
New User

Bactrim as a treatment?!

Postby Pico » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:09 am

I am utterly confused and frustrated - my doctor wants me to stop taking my Flagyl (might be having a mild allergic reaction) and instead start taking Bactrim to treat my current c. diff. I can't find anything, anywhere, at all, that states Bactrim is used to treat c. diff; in fact it's quite the opposite - all I can find are accounts of how Bactrim CAUSES c. diff...?!?! Seriously, am I missing something?!?!?

I have yet to speak directly with my doctor, but the on call nurse said something about tests on my culture to see what meds were resistant and maybe that's why he'd want me to switch...? I'll be talking with him tomorrow, and fully intend to question this move. WOULD I BE CRAZY TO TAKE BACTRIM AS A TREATMENT?!

I need feedback, please and thank you!! - Pico

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bactrim as a treatment?!

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:16 am

Bactrim is NOT used to treat c diff and can cause it. The drugs that treat c diff are Flagyl, vancomycin, Dificid, and Xifaxan. Ask your doctor if you have another infection besides c diff. Did the doctor run a stool culture? Maybe something else showed up. What type of test did you have for c diff? I assume whichever it was, it showed positive.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 am

Liz is correct, Bactrim is never used as a cure for CDiff and it one of the meds that could cause CDiff. find another Dr. if he can't give you a good reason why he is prescribing a known CDiff offender to cure it. Let us know how you do. Carol
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Another "nope" for Bactrim. Call and ask a pharmacist.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:05 pm

What do you mean by a "mild" allergic reaction to flagyl? If it is really mild, you could probably take some benadryl or another antihistamine to fix that so you can continue the flagyl. Otherwise you should ask to switch to oral vancomycin. The vanco is more expensive, but you can get a hospital pharmacy to make you the liquid form (must stay in fridge) cheaper than the tablets.

Return to “Treatments”