whats a good type of diet to follow?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
daboyz420
New User

whats a good type of diet to follow?

Postby daboyz420 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:32 pm

i finished flagyl about 3 weeks ago and been recovering alright. its hard to eat fruits right now and i mostly eat bland food. cant really eat wheat bread either, i have whole grain rice and that is ok for me.

im just wondering but is there any sort of diet to really be on? i been eating a lot of white bread, and feel kinda bad about it since i dont want to end up with diabetes or have any more issues. i been reading on bland diets and they seem filled with a lot of processed foods, which i dont understand. i always ate organic stuff before having c diff and now i never really know what to eat.

id just like to know what people were eating post treatments. thanks for any advice in advance.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: whats a good type of diet to follow?

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 am

I think most people post CDiff are eating very bland diets. I ate a lot of carbs and stayed away from dairy. You will have to experiment and see how you do with different foods. I also had a big problem with sugary foods like cookies, cake etc. I wouldn't worry about organic or healthy right now, just eat what you can tolerate and maybe take a vitamin if your gut can stand it. You will get well and heal and probably be able to eat like you used to eventually. Good luck. Carol
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:44 am

See CDI - Diet for tips about what to eat.

frogerina
Contributor

Postby frogerina » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:58 am

I feel, in the early period of recovery, you eat what works for you and your body. About all I could handle were broth-based soups and some simple carbs for quite a while. Then, slowly, I tried introducing other foods -- and I did it like when you are helping an infant adapt to new foods -- one new thing at a time, see how that goes, if tolerated, move up the scale a bit. If not, back down a day or more.

Recovery is uneven from c. diff -- some days you feel as if you're right back where you were when you were getting sick...but it is not necessarily a relapse, just a healing gut. Pay attention to you and your symptoms.

My big issue, both during and in the early months after, was that my weight was dropping like crazy. Are you able to keep your weight at a safe level? I am still, 5 months later, working to recover muscle mass lost, although my weight has stabilized, and I can eat a pretty varied diet. Sadly, I don't know when I'll be able to indulge in one of my favorite "vices" -- used to love hot sauce, the hotter the better...for now...I'll wait.

Give your body some time to heal. You will be back to your foods of choice (spend some serious time in the organic section of your store -- you may find some less-processed alternatives).

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:52 am

This is an old post from April. The poster may not be active on this site anymore. Check your dates before you spend time and energy writing answers. We have all fallen into this. A new poster pulls it up and there we go.
Anne

frogerina
Contributor

Postby frogerina » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks, gm37...that's what I get for trying to pop into the site quickly before work! Here's hoping the OP is indeed well and eating whatever he/she wants!

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm new to cdiff and this site.
Was diagnosed with cdiff, took flagl for 10 days and that seemed to clear things up.
And I've been taking massive doses of probiotics (a 50 billion capsul in the morning and
probiotic yogurt all day)

During treatment and the next couple of days, I didn't feel like eating much.
But yesterday and today I feel I can eat. But...

It's been 7 days now and it seems to be back.
Yesterday, I had some coffee and parts of me were not pleased.
That evening, had a great supper (including chicken breast, salad, milk).

Today, D has started. And it doesn't smell good.

Can one bad meal or drink trigger everything?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:28 pm

ppp67,
STANDARD INTRODUCTION: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum “All Users Read This First” and subtopics “Please Read before You Post” and “Guidelines for Posting to our Discussion Boards.” They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's article and topics in “CDI” – formerly” FAQ” – including “Hygiene” “Nutrition” and “Testing.”

The majority (about 80%) recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin. An unfortunate small percentage doesn’t and can suffer for months. Most eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.

If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See “CDI – Antibiotics”). Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). Don’t take medications for C. diff. unless you are tested. (See “CDI – Tests.”)

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org and several other support groups on FB. Do research on medical sites such as “Mayo Clinic” and “Web MD.”

This is a support site not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had this unpredictable disease. The best protection (for you and others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene.

Although we know how devastating C. diff. can be - physically, mentally, and financially - it is not a fund-raising site. We rarely ban posters unless they are verbally abusive, combative or insulting; use inappropriate language consistently; or attempt to sell something through the site and usually issue a warning first.

Again, welcome. Remember, the odds are in your favor. (END)

I doubt if one meal or drink could trigger C. diff., but do check with your doc. If you continue to have problems, you might consult a GI or an ID (infectious disease doctor).

Probiotics are a "might help, shouldn't hurt" subject. One that many of our members said helped them regain their appetite is Primadolphilus Reuteri by Nature's Way. You can purchase it at Whole Foods or other health stores or perhaps online. Do check this out with your doc., however.

Let us know how you are doing.

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Feeling good now, well, it's hard to say I'm ok.
3 days on VANCO.
I've changed my diet in the hope my system can recover.
But this is so new for me. The only diet advice I've got
is from here. The doctors so far have only tested me and
gave me pills.

Will have many questions for my doctor on my next visit.
That will include diet info among other questions.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:16 pm

I could eat most anything while on Vanco, its when you come off you have to watch out. My dr. told me to eat anything I felt like except to watch out for dairy. He said the nature of this disease is to become lactose intolerant and I did. I can eat small portions of hard cheese but still after over 2 yrs. have problems with pizza. I love it so it bugs me not to eat it but its not worth it if I feel so bad for 2 days. You let us know what your Dr. says about your diet. Carol
CAROL

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 am

I may have posted this elsewhere, but the doctor told me to eat a normal diet. My GP and ID were both iffy on the probiotics -- say there isn't proof that they work. But I'm taking them anyway -- lots of them. Along with yogurt and kefir. They said it shouldn't hurt so I hope they are right.
A normal diet for me also includes eggs, ground beef (spaghetti sauce usually), steak, chicken. I've avoided them, but if the doctor said go with a normal diet,
shouldn't I continue eating these?

I have four more days of vanco. The only thing that doesn't seem to agree is coffee, even decaf. As well, I want to be wary of sugar. I used to eat so much before. Not soda, but lots of raw fruit, OJ, ice cream,

In five days, am I really going to wake up and discover I can't eat foods, even the ones I'm eating now?
I always drank ALOT of milk. And cheese. And I'm continuing. Why would I suddenly become lactose intolerant?

I want to absolutely everything I can to get better. I don't want to over-react and do something stupid which actually makes things worse.

Any GOOD advice is very much appreciated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:57 am

Not everyone becomes lactose intolerant. I did, but that was while I was on vanco already. I ate all meats, including read meat during the whole time and it did not bother me. I would try to eat as normally as you can. Salads and raw fruits and vegetables bother some people, but again, not all. Gluten is a problem for others. You may not have any problems after stopping vanco. Don't wait for them. Just eat what you feel like eating. If something doesn't agree, you will find out.

Return to “Treatments”