Why do most hospitals say no?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
DustinS85
New User

Why do most hospitals say no?

Postby DustinS85 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:12 pm

I was reading up on the stool transplant procedure that has an over 90% cure rate for C Diff, but I then began studying further and saw that only a few hospitals do this, and most will not perform this procedure. Now with findings as promising as this procedure has shown, I find it odd that more hospitals aren't trying to get involved in the procedure. I read that some of the reasoning is that it isn't a extensively studied procedure, but I figure that with the info that is currently available it seems promising. Some people suffering from the more serious complications (i.e. Toxic Megacolon) could seriously benefit from this procedure, rather than just opting for a Colostomy procedure that is obviously not a favorable option for the patient. What is your opinion?

AndyShax
Regular Contributor

Re: Why do most hospitals say no?

Postby AndyShax » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 pm

There is a lot more professionally offered FT services now. 7 years ago there was only 1 guy in australia, 1 guy in US, and thats it. Now that a blind clinical trial has been completed and successful, the gastroenterology boards have recognised it as a scientifically valid treatment. There will be a clinic in every state offering this treatment soon.

Be glad you are in a developed country. If you were sick in say, Uruguay or Congo, there are no treatment options at all, just treat-yourself methods.

Are you looking for a doctor who does transplants? Tell me where you are from, maybe I know someone.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Many more doctors are doing the procedure now as Andy stated. A lot of them do it at an endoscopy center so they don't have to bother with the red tape at the hospitals. That is what my GI did. Maybe when hospitals wake up and realize they are losing business to these endoscopy centers, they will be more willing to let their physicians perform the procedure.

DustinS85
New User

Postby DustinS85 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:46 pm

I am not currently looking into it, but for future reference I live outside Cleveland, OH.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:32 am

Look in the Doctors' Forum. There are docs. there from every area - and many do the procedure you want; it is indicted in the forum which do. See :Here is a new list of docs. who do FMT's - bacteriotherapy."

Return to “Treatments”